Steve Fehr: “I agree with what Bill said”

Nov 4, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT

Steve Fehr Getty Images

Maybe it really is time to be optimistic.

After Bill Daly had encouraging words about yesterday’s marathon meeting in an undisclosed location, NHLPA Special Counsel Steve Fehr shared his thoughts on talks and finally the two agree on something.

“I agree with what Bill said. Hopefully we can continue the dialogue, expand the group, and make steady progress.”

It’s hard not to be cautiously optimistic. The two sides are delivering respectful quotes about the process and keeping the potshots out of the mix. They’re being downright civil and more importantly they’re keeping specifics of what’s being discussed out of the headlines.

With the two sides planning to meet early in the week, perhaps now it’s time we’ll see real progress being made in getting a new CBA agreed to.

1. sjsharks66 - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Until I read BREAKING: lockout over we start beginning of December. I don’t think I can be very optimistic. They have drained the optimism out of everyone.

2. nolockoutpricks - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

imagine that the two biggest pricks in hockey with the biggest egos arent in the room and things finally start to get done. lets keep it this way

• mmcneels81 - Nov 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Nope. He said “expand the group.” Here come the bastards…

3. joeyashwi - Nov 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM

nolockoutpricks- couldn’t have said it better myself.

4. sampulls - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

nolockoutpricks and joeyshwi

Really? You never heard of good cop, bad cop? Clearly neither of you have ever negotiated a business deal before.

• ron05342 - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Your “good cop, bad cop” analogy is not applicable here…you don’t have them coming into the same room, right after the other…they are separate meetings entirely.

As far as keeping the pricks with the biggest egos out of the room, that really is the crux of it. D. Fehr’s ego is far too large to let a hockey season actually get played. Let his brother do the negotiating. And if he is getting along well with Bill Daly, all the much better.

5. dbarnes79 - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

GET IT DONE!!!

6. stakex - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I think its fair to say we are closer to a deal right this minute then we have been at any other point so far.

However, just because a deal is as close as its ever been… doesn’t mean a deal is actually close.

7. jokoneski - Nov 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Agree with ^^^^sjsharks66^^^^….until I see breaking news that’s they have a deal. Im really not going to look to far into anything the media spits out. I’ll just to continue to watch the OHL play on NHL Network and my local ECHL team play on the ice.

8. sabatimus - Nov 4, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Donald and Bill must’ve agreed that they are both the most colossal jackoffs in the league.

9. joeyashwi - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I was going to respond to sampulls but why bother, he is probably busy negotiating a big business deal unlike us morons that just want to watch some hockey. My bad.

10. id4joey - Nov 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Joeyashi, guess you haven’t about Sam before. He was the top negotiator for Goldman Sachs working on the tens of the bailout money from Uncle Sam.

11. mmcneels81 - Nov 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

“Maybe it really is time to be optimistic.” No. It’s not. Stop it. I know it’s the only story, but really… stop it.

12. mungman69 - Nov 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM

The only news is that there is no news.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches