Nov 4, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton is never a guy afraid to pull his punches both with his fists and his words.
As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com heard, Thornton is upset about the lockout and the annual Winter Classic being canceled. You might say he’s got an ax to grind with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
“We’re all disappointed that it had to come to the Winter Classic being cancelled. I know that personally I just want to get back to work,” Thornton said. “But (Bettman) makes $8 million a year, doesn’t he? You expect he would have 250 grand kicking around in an ash tray somewhere to keep the Winter Classic alive.”
Obviously the cancellation of the Winter Classic goes a bit deeper than just money. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said “we simply are out of time” regarding the event and there’s plenty of truth to that in spite of the game being two months away.
That won’t stop Thornton from getting a frustrated shot in while he can though.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4