Nov 4, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton is never a guy afraid to pull his punches both with his fists and his words.
As Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com heard, Thornton is upset about the lockout and the annual Winter Classic being canceled. You might say he’s got an ax to grind with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.
“We’re all disappointed that it had to come to the Winter Classic being cancelled. I know that personally I just want to get back to work,” Thornton said. “But (Bettman) makes $8 million a year, doesn’t he? You expect he would have 250 grand kicking around in an ash tray somewhere to keep the Winter Classic alive.”
Obviously the cancellation of the Winter Classic goes a bit deeper than just money. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said “we simply are out of time” regarding the event and there’s plenty of truth to that in spite of the game being two months away.
That won’t stop Thornton from getting a frustrated shot in while he can though.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)