Nov 3, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
The 2013 Winter Classic was going to be more than just an NHL event, so its cancelation naturally caused shock waves that extended beyond the top league.
The Ontario Hockey League has never held an outdoor game before, but that was going to change on Dec. 29 when the the Saginaw Spirit played against the Windsor Spitfires. Now that game has been relocated to Dow Event Center, the home of the Spirit.
“It’s discouraging, but we’ll try to turn it into a positive,” Saginaw Spirit co-owner Craig Goslin said, according to MLive.com. “We’ve already talked to Olympia Entertainment. Whenever the game is rescheduled, we will be invited back to play at Comerica Park.”
Over 20,000 tickets were sold and fans will get a complete refund.
Additionally, the 2012 Great Lakes Invitational, which is an annual four-team NCAA tournament, was going to be held on Dec. 27 and 28 at Comerica Park. Before the Winter Classic’s cancelation was official, SB Nation reported that those games would have to be rescheduled if everything played out as feared.
Consequently, the tournament will now take place at Joe Louis Arena on Dec. 28 and 29.
On top of the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs playing, their AHL affiliates, the Grand Rapids Griffins and Toronto Marlies were going to hold an outdoor game on Dec. 30. That contest will also be moved.
AHL Grand Rapids announced that the game will now be played on Dec. 28 at Van Andel Arena, the home of the Griffins.
All that doesn’t even sum up the full extent of what the Winter Classic’s cancelation means. For further details, check out our previous article on the cancelation.
Finally, on a positive note, Michigan might get to host the 2014 Winter Classic instead.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)