Nov 3, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
In the span of one game, the Minnesota Wild lost two of their best prospects to injuries based on a report from Michael Russo of the Star Tribune.
Defenseman Jonas Brodin has a broken clavicle and will be out for several weeks after being hit by the Edmonton Oilers’ Taylor Hall during Friday’s game between the AHL Oklahoma City Barons and Houston Aeros. Hall was originally handed a match penalty for hitting Brodin in the head, but the AHL later rescinded it after they determined that Hall delivered a shoulder-to-shoulder check.
Brodin was taken with the 10th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and had four points in eight AHL games. If he’s healthy, he might make the Minnesota Wild’s roster once the lockout ends.
For now, Brodin will head to Minnesota so that he can have an MRI to determine the severity of the injury. Usually it takes six-to-eight weeks to recover from a broken clavicle, but he might end up getting a more or less favorable projection after being examined.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Mikael Granlund is tentatively projected to miss a few weeks after landing awkwardly following a hit on Friday. He ended up with a muscle strain in his right leg.
Granlund was taken with the ninth pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has dominated the AHL since heading to North America from HIFK Helsinki of the SM-liiga. He recently won the AHL Rookie of the Month award and has 12 points in eight games with the Aeros.
Like Brodin, Granlund might end up on the Minnesota Wild’s roster when the lockout ends, if he’s healthy enough to play at that time.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)