Nov 3, 2012, 6:51 PM EST
In the span of one game, the Minnesota Wild lost two of their best prospects to injuries based on a report from Michael Russo of the Star Tribune.
Defenseman Jonas Brodin has a broken clavicle and will be out for several weeks after being hit by the Edmonton Oilers’ Taylor Hall during Friday’s game between the AHL Oklahoma City Barons and Houston Aeros. Hall was originally handed a match penalty for hitting Brodin in the head, but the AHL later rescinded it after they determined that Hall delivered a shoulder-to-shoulder check.
Brodin was taken with the 10th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and had four points in eight AHL games. If he’s healthy, he might make the Minnesota Wild’s roster once the lockout ends.
For now, Brodin will head to Minnesota so that he can have an MRI to determine the severity of the injury. Usually it takes six-to-eight weeks to recover from a broken clavicle, but he might end up getting a more or less favorable projection after being examined.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Mikael Granlund is tentatively projected to miss a few weeks after landing awkwardly following a hit on Friday. He ended up with a muscle strain in his right leg.
Granlund was taken with the ninth pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has dominated the AHL since heading to North America from HIFK Helsinki of the SM-liiga. He recently won the AHL Rookie of the Month award and has 12 points in eight games with the Aeros.
Like Brodin, Granlund might end up on the Minnesota Wild’s roster when the lockout ends, if he’s healthy enough to play at that time.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
Sharks forward has undergone months of rehab on his surgically-repaired knee.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
“Let’s get real. Finding top-four defensemen, they’re not available,” says GM Dean Lombardi.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
And rightly so.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan, specifically.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Bojangles. That’s a funny name.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
“I would rather fight than turtle or anything like that.”
Nov 25, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
This is… surprising.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Cory Schneider to “see what kind of player he is” tonight.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Blue Jackets, Flyers, Avalanche, Stars, and Sharks all made the playoffs last season. But they’re not in position now.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
GM Dale Tallon reportedly wants to make room for some youngsters.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
For the first time since Nov. 1.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
That’s a picture of former first-rounder Alex Plante.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
Pointless in 17 games this season.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
So says Patrick Roy.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
Isles were the biggest risers.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
“Of course, I’m not too happy.”
Nov 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
“So I won’t be playing that much next game, I don’t think.”
Nov 25, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
They’re drawing just 12,404 fans per game.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)