Nov 3, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
In the span of one game, the Minnesota Wild lost two of their best prospects to injuries based on a report from Michael Russo of the Star Tribune.
Defenseman Jonas Brodin has a broken clavicle and will be out for several weeks after being hit by the Edmonton Oilers’ Taylor Hall during Friday’s game between the AHL Oklahoma City Barons and Houston Aeros. Hall was originally handed a match penalty for hitting Brodin in the head, but the AHL later rescinded it after they determined that Hall delivered a shoulder-to-shoulder check.
Brodin was taken with the 10th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and had four points in eight AHL games. If he’s healthy, he might make the Minnesota Wild’s roster once the lockout ends.
For now, Brodin will head to Minnesota so that he can have an MRI to determine the severity of the injury. Usually it takes six-to-eight weeks to recover from a broken clavicle, but he might end up getting a more or less favorable projection after being examined.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Mikael Granlund is tentatively projected to miss a few weeks after landing awkwardly following a hit on Friday. He ended up with a muscle strain in his right leg.
Granlund was taken with the ninth pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has dominated the AHL since heading to North America from HIFK Helsinki of the SM-liiga. He recently won the AHL Rookie of the Month award and has 12 points in eight games with the Aeros.
Like Brodin, Granlund might end up on the Minnesota Wild’s roster when the lockout ends, if he’s healthy enough to play at that time.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
Jumping around a busy Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Was it a dirty hit?
Oct 25, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist didn’t star, but grabbed an assist.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Seems like a broken record, right?
Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maybe the headline should read goaltending optional instead?
Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
Dougie Hamilton’s had a strong night.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Challenging night for Tampa Bay.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Things didn’t look particularly “right” on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Oct 25, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
Habs face Chris Kreider, David Backes vs. Brent Seabrook on Saturday.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
Yikes on so many levels.
Oct 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
Patric Hornqvist plays in Nashville as a visitor for the first time.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
The 21-year-old was recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The rookie defensmen were recalled Friday.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
A rematch of last spring’s playoff series.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Suffered a skate cut to his right eyelid Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Antti Raanta and Brian Elliott go head-to-head as the Blackhawks and Blues battle in St. Louis.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.
Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)