Nov 3, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
In the span of one game, the Minnesota Wild lost two of their best prospects to injuries based on a report from Michael Russo of the Star Tribune.
Defenseman Jonas Brodin has a broken clavicle and will be out for several weeks after being hit by the Edmonton Oilers’ Taylor Hall during Friday’s game between the AHL Oklahoma City Barons and Houston Aeros. Hall was originally handed a match penalty for hitting Brodin in the head, but the AHL later rescinded it after they determined that Hall delivered a shoulder-to-shoulder check.
Brodin was taken with the 10th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and had four points in eight AHL games. If he’s healthy, he might make the Minnesota Wild’s roster once the lockout ends.
For now, Brodin will head to Minnesota so that he can have an MRI to determine the severity of the injury. Usually it takes six-to-eight weeks to recover from a broken clavicle, but he might end up getting a more or less favorable projection after being examined.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Mikael Granlund is tentatively projected to miss a few weeks after landing awkwardly following a hit on Friday. He ended up with a muscle strain in his right leg.
Granlund was taken with the ninth pick of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has dominated the AHL since heading to North America from HIFK Helsinki of the SM-liiga. He recently won the AHL Rookie of the Month award and has 12 points in eight games with the Aeros.
Like Brodin, Granlund might end up on the Minnesota Wild’s roster when the lockout ends, if he’s healthy enough to play at that time.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (56)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)