Garrison, Edler continue to rehab injuries

Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Comments Off on Garrison, Edler continue to rehab injuries
Alex Edler #23 of the Vancouver Canucks fires a slapshot and scores their second goal against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on October 1, 2010 in Anaheim, California. Vancouver won 4-2.
(September 30, 2010 - Source: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Even with the NHL lockout, the Vancouver Canucks are still paying a significant amount in player salaries. That’s because defensemen Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are on the sidelines with injuries sustained before the old CBA expired.

Garrison thought he would be ready for Nov. 2 and while he missed that date, he said he’s “definitely close” to returning, according to a Vancouver Sun report.

“I’m just kind of getting rid of the last little bits and pieces,” Garrison said. “I’m skating better every day. I’m working with a guy (Rick Celebrini) who is the best in the business when it comes to this. He’s helped me out tremendously with the areas where I’ve needed attention. I’ve been told it’s going to be sore for a long time, and that’s something everyone deals with. It’s more strength and getting the strength going.”

Unfortunately, Edler’s situation isn’t quite as rosy. He skated along with Garrison and some locked-out NHLers in the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds’ practice on Thursday, but he doesn’t have a firm return date in mind.

“It’s getting better obviously,” Edler said. “It’s a frustrating injury. You have to be very patient with it but I feel like it’s going the right way. Surgery will be absolutely a last resort. As of now, the rehab is working so I’m going to keep doing that.”

He added that he’s “just going to take it one day at a time.”

Going into the lockout, Garrison was scheduled to make $5,500,000 this season after inking a six-year, $27,600,000 contract in July. Edler was projected to earn $3,250,000 in the final season of his four-year, $13,000,000 deal.

Latest Posts
  1. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

2. Blackhawks sign Nordstrom to a one-year deal

Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks

The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.

3. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

4. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

5. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

6. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

7. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

8. Canes coach Peters making tweaks with emphasis on being more dangerous offensively

Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.

9. Eichel planning to move in with Moulson

Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”

10. Lightning’s trip to Stanley Cup Final boosts season ticket sales

Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Stamkos Getty Images

They had strong attendance numbers last season too.

11. St. Louis offers Upshall a professional tryout

Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Scottie Upshall Getty Images

The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.

12. Crosby, Toews, Weber, Price lead pack in NHL 16’s ratings

Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.

13. Marchand rehabbing from offseason elbow surgery

Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Brad Marchand Getty Images

He played through the injury in 2014-15.

14. Flyers bring back tough guy Rosehill on AHL deal

Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Chris Thorburn #22 of the Winnipeg Jets fights with Jay Rosehill #37 of the Philadelphia Flyers during third period in a game between the Winnipeg Jets and the Philadelphia Flyers on April 6, 2013 at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
(April 5, 2013 - Source: Marianne Helm/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches