Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Even with the NHL lockout, the Vancouver Canucks are still paying a significant amount in player salaries. That’s because defensemen Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are on the sidelines with injuries sustained before the old CBA expired.
Garrison thought he would be ready for Nov. 2 and while he missed that date, he said he’s “definitely close” to returning, according to a Vancouver Sun report.
“I’m just kind of getting rid of the last little bits and pieces,” Garrison said. “I’m skating better every day. I’m working with a guy (Rick Celebrini) who is the best in the business when it comes to this. He’s helped me out tremendously with the areas where I’ve needed attention. I’ve been told it’s going to be sore for a long time, and that’s something everyone deals with. It’s more strength and getting the strength going.”
Unfortunately, Edler’s situation isn’t quite as rosy. He skated along with Garrison and some locked-out NHLers in the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds’ practice on Thursday, but he doesn’t have a firm return date in mind.
“It’s getting better obviously,” Edler said. “It’s a frustrating injury. You have to be very patient with it but I feel like it’s going the right way. Surgery will be absolutely a last resort. As of now, the rehab is working so I’m going to keep doing that.”
He added that he’s “just going to take it one day at a time.”
Going into the lockout, Garrison was scheduled to make $5,500,000 this season after inking a six-year, $27,600,000 contract in July. Edler was projected to earn $3,250,000 in the final season of his four-year, $13,000,000 deal.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22