Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Even with the NHL lockout, the Vancouver Canucks are still paying a significant amount in player salaries. That’s because defensemen Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are on the sidelines with injuries sustained before the old CBA expired.
Garrison thought he would be ready for Nov. 2 and while he missed that date, he said he’s “definitely close” to returning, according to a Vancouver Sun report.
“I’m just kind of getting rid of the last little bits and pieces,” Garrison said. “I’m skating better every day. I’m working with a guy (Rick Celebrini) who is the best in the business when it comes to this. He’s helped me out tremendously with the areas where I’ve needed attention. I’ve been told it’s going to be sore for a long time, and that’s something everyone deals with. It’s more strength and getting the strength going.”
Unfortunately, Edler’s situation isn’t quite as rosy. He skated along with Garrison and some locked-out NHLers in the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds’ practice on Thursday, but he doesn’t have a firm return date in mind.
“It’s getting better obviously,” Edler said. “It’s a frustrating injury. You have to be very patient with it but I feel like it’s going the right way. Surgery will be absolutely a last resort. As of now, the rehab is working so I’m going to keep doing that.”
He added that he’s “just going to take it one day at a time.”
Going into the lockout, Garrison was scheduled to make $5,500,000 this season after inking a six-year, $27,600,000 contract in July. Edler was projected to earn $3,250,000 in the final season of his four-year, $13,000,000 deal.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)