Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Even with the NHL lockout, the Vancouver Canucks are still paying a significant amount in player salaries. That’s because defensemen Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are on the sidelines with injuries sustained before the old CBA expired.
Garrison thought he would be ready for Nov. 2 and while he missed that date, he said he’s “definitely close” to returning, according to a Vancouver Sun report.
“I’m just kind of getting rid of the last little bits and pieces,” Garrison said. “I’m skating better every day. I’m working with a guy (Rick Celebrini) who is the best in the business when it comes to this. He’s helped me out tremendously with the areas where I’ve needed attention. I’ve been told it’s going to be sore for a long time, and that’s something everyone deals with. It’s more strength and getting the strength going.”
Unfortunately, Edler’s situation isn’t quite as rosy. He skated along with Garrison and some locked-out NHLers in the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds’ practice on Thursday, but he doesn’t have a firm return date in mind.
“It’s getting better obviously,” Edler said. “It’s a frustrating injury. You have to be very patient with it but I feel like it’s going the right way. Surgery will be absolutely a last resort. As of now, the rehab is working so I’m going to keep doing that.”
He added that he’s “just going to take it one day at a time.”
Going into the lockout, Garrison was scheduled to make $5,500,000 this season after inking a six-year, $27,600,000 contract in July. Edler was projected to earn $3,250,000 in the final season of his four-year, $13,000,000 deal.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)