Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Even with the NHL lockout, the Vancouver Canucks are still paying a significant amount in player salaries. That’s because defensemen Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are on the sidelines with injuries sustained before the old CBA expired.
Garrison thought he would be ready for Nov. 2 and while he missed that date, he said he’s “definitely close” to returning, according to a Vancouver Sun report.
“I’m just kind of getting rid of the last little bits and pieces,” Garrison said. “I’m skating better every day. I’m working with a guy (Rick Celebrini) who is the best in the business when it comes to this. He’s helped me out tremendously with the areas where I’ve needed attention. I’ve been told it’s going to be sore for a long time, and that’s something everyone deals with. It’s more strength and getting the strength going.”
Unfortunately, Edler’s situation isn’t quite as rosy. He skated along with Garrison and some locked-out NHLers in the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds’ practice on Thursday, but he doesn’t have a firm return date in mind.
“It’s getting better obviously,” Edler said. “It’s a frustrating injury. You have to be very patient with it but I feel like it’s going the right way. Surgery will be absolutely a last resort. As of now, the rehab is working so I’m going to keep doing that.”
He added that he’s “just going to take it one day at a time.”
Going into the lockout, Garrison was scheduled to make $5,500,000 this season after inking a six-year, $27,600,000 contract in July. Edler was projected to earn $3,250,000 in the final season of his four-year, $13,000,000 deal.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32