Nov 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Even with the NHL lockout, the Vancouver Canucks are still paying a significant amount in player salaries. That’s because defensemen Alex Edler (back) and Jason Garrison (groin) are on the sidelines with injuries sustained before the old CBA expired.
Garrison thought he would be ready for Nov. 2 and while he missed that date, he said he’s “definitely close” to returning, according to a Vancouver Sun report.
“I’m just kind of getting rid of the last little bits and pieces,” Garrison said. “I’m skating better every day. I’m working with a guy (Rick Celebrini) who is the best in the business when it comes to this. He’s helped me out tremendously with the areas where I’ve needed attention. I’ve been told it’s going to be sore for a long time, and that’s something everyone deals with. It’s more strength and getting the strength going.”
Unfortunately, Edler’s situation isn’t quite as rosy. He skated along with Garrison and some locked-out NHLers in the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds’ practice on Thursday, but he doesn’t have a firm return date in mind.
“It’s getting better obviously,” Edler said. “It’s a frustrating injury. You have to be very patient with it but I feel like it’s going the right way. Surgery will be absolutely a last resort. As of now, the rehab is working so I’m going to keep doing that.”
He added that he’s “just going to take it one day at a time.”
Going into the lockout, Garrison was scheduled to make $5,500,000 this season after inking a six-year, $27,600,000 contract in July. Edler was projected to earn $3,250,000 in the final season of his four-year, $13,000,000 deal.
- In praise of John Tavares 3
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 12
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31