Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Even when the NHL isn’t playing games, players are finding ways to get hurt. Case in point, Red Wings forward Darren Helm.
Helm took a puck to the face while working out with other players and is now out of action with a fractured cheekbone as Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News reports. It’s another in a growing list of odd injuries.
Helm missed most of last season’s playoff series loss to Nashville thanks to a severed tendon in his arm and also missed a chunk of last season with a knee injury. Detroit re-signed Helm to a four-year, $8.5 million deal in June. Maybe they can work out a clause in the deal that allows him to repair the mirror he broke that led to this run of bad luck.
Update: Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan reports Helm will see a specialist to find out if he needs surgery.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32