Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Even when the NHL isn’t playing games, players are finding ways to get hurt. Case in point, Red Wings forward Darren Helm.
Helm took a puck to the face while working out with other players and is now out of action with a fractured cheekbone as Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News reports. It’s another in a growing list of odd injuries.
Helm missed most of last season’s playoff series loss to Nashville thanks to a severed tendon in his arm and also missed a chunk of last season with a knee injury. Detroit re-signed Helm to a four-year, $8.5 million deal in June. Maybe they can work out a clause in the deal that allows him to repair the mirror he broke that led to this run of bad luck.
Update: Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan reports Helm will see a specialist to find out if he needs surgery.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)