Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Even when the NHL isn’t playing games, players are finding ways to get hurt. Case in point, Red Wings forward Darren Helm.
Helm took a puck to the face while working out with other players and is now out of action with a fractured cheekbone as Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News reports. It’s another in a growing list of odd injuries.
Helm missed most of last season’s playoff series loss to Nashville thanks to a severed tendon in his arm and also missed a chunk of last season with a knee injury. Detroit re-signed Helm to a four-year, $8.5 million deal in June. Maybe they can work out a clause in the deal that allows him to repair the mirror he broke that led to this run of bad luck.
Update: Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan reports Helm will see a specialist to find out if he needs surgery.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)