Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Even when the NHL isn’t playing games, players are finding ways to get hurt. Case in point, Red Wings forward Darren Helm.
Helm took a puck to the face while working out with other players and is now out of action with a fractured cheekbone as Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News reports. It’s another in a growing list of odd injuries.
Helm missed most of last season’s playoff series loss to Nashville thanks to a severed tendon in his arm and also missed a chunk of last season with a knee injury. Detroit re-signed Helm to a four-year, $8.5 million deal in June. Maybe they can work out a clause in the deal that allows him to repair the mirror he broke that led to this run of bad luck.
Update: Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan reports Helm will see a specialist to find out if he needs surgery.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)