Nov 3, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Even when the NHL isn’t playing games, players are finding ways to get hurt. Case in point, Red Wings forward Darren Helm.
Helm took a puck to the face while working out with other players and is now out of action with a fractured cheekbone as Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News reports. It’s another in a growing list of odd injuries.
Helm missed most of last season’s playoff series loss to Nashville thanks to a severed tendon in his arm and also missed a chunk of last season with a knee injury. Detroit re-signed Helm to a four-year, $8.5 million deal in June. Maybe they can work out a clause in the deal that allows him to repair the mirror he broke that led to this run of bad luck.
Update: Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan reports Helm will see a specialist to find out if he needs surgery.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)