Nov 2, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Every now and then we mark a major event by providing a snapshot of the reaction that followed it from sportswriters, fans, and others.
When it comes to the Winter Classic, you can probably guess what the consensus reaction was among those who have dedicated a fair amount of their time to the NHL.
Still, even on a day like today the news wasn’t all doom and gloom. Those that are still hoping for a 2012-13 campaign were given a new reason to be optimistic tonight.
So instead of leading with grimmer reactions, let’s get the ball rolling with a couple of the wittier remarks people came up with. It’s dark comedy, but that’s the only sort there is around news like this…
Unconfirmed report: NHL working on contingency plan to cancel Christmas, kids’ birthday parties and all future adoptions of orphaned kittens
— Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) November 2, 2012
NHL cancels the Winter Classic, which means no HBO 24-7 for Leafs/Red Wings. Somewhere, Randy Carlyle is smiling.
— Paul Friesen (@friesensunmedia) November 2, 2012
And if you need your hockey fix during the lockout, the NCAA has a message for you:
— NCAA Ice Hockey (@NCAAIceHockey) November 2, 2012
With the dust settling on today’s announcement, the question is turning to “now what?” Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli thinks the NHLPA needs to look internally and ask some tough questions.
The question for NHLPA: Now what? Huge chunk of revenue now gone. $720M already lost out of $3.3B. How much more is WC worth?
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) November 2, 2012
Of course, while there’s still cause for some optimism, the cancelation of the Winter Classic is a reminder that the season itself is in jeopardy:
The next announcement, in a month or so, could be cancellation of the season if both sides don’t find common ground.
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) November 2, 2012
Finally, in recognition of what’s happened recently, let’s end on a sobering note:
My family in Bucks County still doesn’t have power. I couldn’t care less about the @nhl canceling the Winter Classic right now.
— Chris Whyno(@CWhyno) November 2, 2012
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)