Nov 2, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Every now and then we mark a major event by providing a snapshot of the reaction that followed it from sportswriters, fans, and others.
When it comes to the Winter Classic, you can probably guess what the consensus reaction was among those who have dedicated a fair amount of their time to the NHL.
Still, even on a day like today the news wasn’t all doom and gloom. Those that are still hoping for a 2012-13 campaign were given a new reason to be optimistic tonight.
So instead of leading with grimmer reactions, let’s get the ball rolling with a couple of the wittier remarks people came up with. It’s dark comedy, but that’s the only sort there is around news like this…
Unconfirmed report: NHL working on contingency plan to cancel Christmas, kids’ birthday parties and all future adoptions of orphaned kittens
— Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) November 2, 2012
NHL cancels the Winter Classic, which means no HBO 24-7 for Leafs/Red Wings. Somewhere, Randy Carlyle is smiling.
— Paul Friesen (@friesensunmedia) November 2, 2012
And if you need your hockey fix during the lockout, the NCAA has a message for you:
— NCAA Ice Hockey (@NCAAIceHockey) November 2, 2012
With the dust settling on today’s announcement, the question is turning to “now what?” Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli thinks the NHLPA needs to look internally and ask some tough questions.
The question for NHLPA: Now what? Huge chunk of revenue now gone. $720M already lost out of $3.3B. How much more is WC worth?
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) November 2, 2012
Of course, while there’s still cause for some optimism, the cancelation of the Winter Classic is a reminder that the season itself is in jeopardy:
The next announcement, in a month or so, could be cancellation of the season if both sides don’t find common ground.
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) November 2, 2012
Finally, in recognition of what’s happened recently, let’s end on a sobering note:
My family in Bucks County still doesn’t have power. I couldn’t care less about the @nhl canceling the Winter Classic right now.
— Chris Whyno(@CWhyno) November 2, 2012
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)