Nov 2, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
Every now and then we mark a major event by providing a snapshot of the reaction that followed it from sportswriters, fans, and others.
When it comes to the Winter Classic, you can probably guess what the consensus reaction was among those who have dedicated a fair amount of their time to the NHL.
Still, even on a day like today the news wasn’t all doom and gloom. Those that are still hoping for a 2012-13 campaign were given a new reason to be optimistic tonight.
So instead of leading with grimmer reactions, let’s get the ball rolling with a couple of the wittier remarks people came up with. It’s dark comedy, but that’s the only sort there is around news like this…
Unconfirmed report: NHL working on contingency plan to cancel Christmas, kids’ birthday parties and all future adoptions of orphaned kittens
— Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) November 2, 2012
NHL cancels the Winter Classic, which means no HBO 24-7 for Leafs/Red Wings. Somewhere, Randy Carlyle is smiling.
— Paul Friesen (@friesensunmedia) November 2, 2012
And if you need your hockey fix during the lockout, the NCAA has a message for you:
— NCAA Ice Hockey (@NCAAIceHockey) November 2, 2012
With the dust settling on today’s announcement, the question is turning to “now what?” Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli thinks the NHLPA needs to look internally and ask some tough questions.
The question for NHLPA: Now what? Huge chunk of revenue now gone. $720M already lost out of $3.3B. How much more is WC worth?
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) November 2, 2012
Of course, while there’s still cause for some optimism, the cancelation of the Winter Classic is a reminder that the season itself is in jeopardy:
The next announcement, in a month or so, could be cancellation of the season if both sides don’t find common ground.
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) November 2, 2012
Finally, in recognition of what’s happened recently, let’s end on a sobering note:
My family in Bucks County still doesn’t have power. I couldn’t care less about the @nhl canceling the Winter Classic right now.
— Chris Whyno(@CWhyno) November 2, 2012
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)