Nov 2, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
The move is a homecoming for the 36-year-old netminder. Karlovy Vary is his hometown, though he never actually represented the local club during his younger days — Vokoun played for Kladno prior to joining the Canadiens organization in 1995.
A longtime starter with the Predators and Panthers, Vokoun fell on hard times last season. After miscalculating his worth on the open market, he was forced to sign a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Capitals with the hopes of solidifying their goaltending position.
But the plan never came to fruition.
Vokoun was hampered by a groin injury throughout the season, which limited him to just 48 regular season appearances (25-17-2, 2.51 GAA, .917 save percentage).
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 6
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 8
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (107)