Nov 2, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
The move is a homecoming for the 36-year-old netminder. Karlovy Vary is his hometown, though he never actually represented the local club during his younger days — Vokoun played for Kladno prior to joining the Canadiens organization in 1995.
A longtime starter with the Predators and Panthers, Vokoun fell on hard times last season. After miscalculating his worth on the open market, he was forced to sign a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Capitals with the hopes of solidifying their goaltending position.
But the plan never came to fruition.
Vokoun was hampered by a groin injury throughout the season, which limited him to just 48 regular season appearances (25-17-2, 2.51 GAA, .917 save percentage).
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 6
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 15
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 34
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 32
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)