Nov 2, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
The move is a homecoming for the 36-year-old netminder. Karlovy Vary is his hometown, though he never actually represented the local club during his younger days — Vokoun played for Kladno prior to joining the Canadiens organization in 1995.
A longtime starter with the Predators and Panthers, Vokoun fell on hard times last season. After miscalculating his worth on the open market, he was forced to sign a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Capitals with the hopes of solidifying their goaltending position.
But the plan never came to fruition.
Vokoun was hampered by a groin injury throughout the season, which limited him to just 48 regular season appearances (25-17-2, 2.51 GAA, .917 save percentage).
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)