Nov 2, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
The move is a homecoming for the 36-year-old netminder. Karlovy Vary is his hometown, though he never actually represented the local club during his younger days — Vokoun played for Kladno prior to joining the Canadiens organization in 1995.
A longtime starter with the Predators and Panthers, Vokoun fell on hard times last season. After miscalculating his worth on the open market, he was forced to sign a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Capitals with the hopes of solidifying their goaltending position.
But the plan never came to fruition.
Vokoun was hampered by a groin injury throughout the season, which limited him to just 48 regular season appearances (25-17-2, 2.51 GAA, .917 save percentage).
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 0
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 13
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 56
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22