NHL cancels 2013 Winter Classic

Nov 2, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT

2013 Winter Classic

The 2013 Winter Classic has been canceled.

The news comes prior to an official announcement from the league, but is based on a number of reports (including those from the Associated Press and ESPN.)

The cancelation of the game — which was to be played on Jan. 1, 2013 — is a blow on a variety of fronts:

– The event had already sold between 80,000-90,000 tickets, according to University of Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon.

– Traditionally, the game has been a television ratings bonanza. Annual viewership has gone between a low of 3.7 million to a high of 4.57 million, tremendous numbers for hockey. The 2011 Caps-Pens Winter Classic was the most-watched regular season game in 36 years.

Detroit’s Hockeytown Winter Festival also falls by the wayside. The event was set to unfold over the course of two weeks, featuring amateur games, open skates, musical acts, the Great Lakes Invitational, an OHL doubleheader, an AHL game and the Red Wings-Maple Leafs alumni contests.

And for you optimists out there, some even worse news — there is no ‘resurrection’ plan for the Classic this season.

“I can certainly confirm that if the game is canceled, there is no ‘resurrection’ scenario for this year,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in an email to the New York Times.

It’s obvious why the league would be forced to stick with its decision. Preparation for and execution of the Winter Classic is a massive undertaking — last year, rink-building preparations for Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia began on Nov. 21, which was 42 days prior to puck drop.

But hey, if there is a glimmer of hope, Daly did say CBA talks will resume in the “relatively near future.”

Related

Ian White wonders why the NHL would want to play a season without the Winter Classic

Red Wings confirm — if there’s no Winter Classic, there’s no Hockeytown Winter Festival

1. sistreetsoldier - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I lose. I thought surely the CBA would be in place prior to the WC and that this event would kick the season off. *facepalm*. I now hate the NHL. This was my chance to see this event in person in the Big House I grew up in. I am so angry….

2. bekay19 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

What an embarrassment!!! fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me,, thank god for the NFL

• bhawksrule - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM

good comment until NFL was mentioned.
      16 games + playoffs if your team is good doesn’t compare to an 82 game hockey season + playoffs

3. nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Reports from several sources indicate that the fans will announce tonight that Gary Bettman is officially the worst commissioner/president in NHL history.

• noisetheorem - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

When this is all over, Bettman should step down for his own safety. Or at least he should never go to a game.

• thesableo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

At this rate he’ll need to hand out the Stanley Cup from the Popemobile.

• chrisvegas - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I can’t wait to hear him get bood the next time he shows his face at a game.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Master of stating the obvious: First there would have to be an actual game.

4. lonespeed - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM

In all previous labor conflicts across other sports and even the NHL six years ago, I have usually been able to see the reason for the conflict and understood that things need to be fixed. This labour issue makes no sense at all.

It seems like league suicide to me. The NHL, already on tenative foothold as a major sport amongst baseball, basketball, and football…but improving its numbers in recent years simply doesn’t have room to put another season at risk. All their progress is at risk.

5. aspinaci - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Opening night, all of November, now the WC. Only one thing left. So disappointing.

• claysbar - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Two actually, Trade deadline and the Cup:)

6. csilojohnson - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

All the progress they’ve made in making hockey a relevant sport again has been lost. How do these aholes not see this? And where is the pressure from NBC? They did just sign a massive TV deal… I guess your buisness department has as much backbone as your news department..

7. rogersjd16 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Disgraceful on some many levels. Absolutely pathetic. It’s about growing the game right, though, right? You soulless, selfish, narcissistic, arrogant cretins.

8. qauzaq - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Thanks for making me a basketball fan NHL…

• thesableo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM

*Football

• claysbar - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Harrisburg Heat Indoor Soccer

9. sabatimus - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Just cancel the whole damn thing. It’s already a cruel joke, and it’s so much more of a joke now. Only good thing that might come of this is Bettman being tossed out on his ass.

10. girouxvy - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

IDIOTS!!! With every stupid move that is made, I am that much closer to being an absent fan IF the NHL every resumes play.

• sabatimus - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Oh, they’re no idiots: these jackoffs know exactly what they’re doing. What they might not fathom is the long-term damage to the sport. The hardcore fans will likely come back (as a hardcore fan, I feel like I’m going through a breakup knowing full well that I’m going to accept her back into my life…it’s a rather disgusting feeling), but the casual fans that the NHL was trying to entice (with HBO and the Winter Classic) are all probably saying “screw you” to this league. And justifiably so.

11. jernster21 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I can’t help but think the players tactic is that of “sticking it to the man” by losing a game like this. Don’t they understand this big cash cow is part of the money they’re supposed to be making too? So in essence, they’re screwing themselves as well. Oh well, sadly I don’t even care any more, I love college football and there will be no shortage of games to watch come holiday season.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

jernster, The players? A lockout is where the NHL tells the players that they cannot play the scheduled games. A strike is where the players refuse to play the scheduled games. And this is a lockout, not a strike. Try to keep up.

• jernster21 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

That’s pretty obvious. They both share responsibility in coming to an agreement, neither of which are doing a real good job of. There is such a thing as resentment and bitterness and “solidarity” can be built upon that…but for how long remains to be unseen.

• jernster21 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

uhh remains to be seen rather. maybe I should have another coffee.

• nderdog - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Spoiler alert: They don’t lock out players willing to work toward nailing down a contract. Both parties are equally to blame.

If fans support the NHL after all of, this that says a lot about them. Not in a good way. Support your local minor league teams and all, let the NHL rot in hell.

• witchrunner - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

No, it’s not a lockout. And it’s not a strike. Both sides have mutually agreed that there is no hockey without a CBA. The players play for the owners of the team they play for. The players have chosen not to play just as much as the owners have chosen not to hire them under the current circumstances. Let’s say the players decided to show up and play: What are the terms they are playing under? Whatever the owners decide to pay them?

12. doubles22 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

“Good job! Good effort”

Turds.

13. cweez2 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Do they make shoes to accommodate a bullet hole in the foot?

• thesableo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Lost Reven-shoes

• thesableo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Fehr Jordans. I’ve got a million of these.

• kopy - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Remember when Fehrwalks were cool?

• rodeoclowndc - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM

F*ck You Taylors.

14. nysportsexchange - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

What else is new. The fans are the ones to suffer losing out on a unique experience. The owners greed never ceases to amaze me. They took the players to the woodshed the last time around and now they are back again. http://nysportsexchange.blogspot.com/

15. ibieiniid - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

makes me that much more supportive of my Norfolk Admirals. and will make going to Ads/Sens tonight that much more enjoyable.

officially a real AHL fan

• claysbar - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’m stuck on that one, Pens fan (WBS as well) but live right outside of Hershey. I can’t win for losing.

• ibieiniid - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I’m a Flyers fan, used to be a Phantoms fan too until I moved to Norfolk. it was tougher rooting for the Lightning farm team (did it anyway), but now that they’re the Ducks, less conflict… nice.

Pens/Caps is a bit too much of a rivalry to root for the Bears tho. go to some Bears/Pens games? that’s a pretty big rivalry in itself. actually in the same division… Ads too.

btw, f*** you, Penguins fan. =P

• claysbar - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM

LOL, nice. My buddy has Bears season tickets. I am always shown so much love in my WBS jersey.

• sabatimus - Nov 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I could not root for my Portland Pirates when they were the Sabres affiliate (how could I, as a Bruins fan?), but now that they are a Coyotes’ affiliate I’m all on board. Excellent seats at a fraction of the cost.

16. braddavery - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

These assholes clearly don’t care one bit about the GAME of hockey, so I will show them how much I DO care about the game of hockey and how LITTLE I care for the NHL when this thing is finally resolved.

17. hockinj25 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Everyone that got tickets should get their money back times 2.

18. jimw81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM

• nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Please rewrite this so it makes sense.

• elvispocomo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

“no one thought Gary,Bill, Jacobs and other 5 owners couldn’t top themselves but they cease to do it.”
      =

• elvispocomo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Bah, one of these days they’ll make an edit feature.

“No one thought Gary, Bill, [Jeremy] Jacobs and [the] other 5 owners couldn’t top themselves but they managed cease to do it.”

19. blomfeld - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

SO WHO BLINKS FIRST NOW ? …

I say it’ll be Fehr and the boys ! … they’ve been look’n for trouble and now they’re gonna get some ! :)

What a pile of crap ! If these idiots were to actually go through with this threat, then they’re literally signing their own death warrants. So call me an optimist, call me a nut, I couldn’t care less ! … you just watch what happens now ! :)

• paledevil - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

The Tombstone Nugget proclaimed:

The 26th of October, 1881, will always be marked as one of the crimson days in the annals of Tombstone, a day when blood flowed as water, and human life was held as a shuttle cock, a day to be remembered as witnessing the bloodiest and deadliest street fight that has ever occurred in this place, or probably in the Territory
      Futhermore Even the Governor of the Arizona Territory, John C. Frémont, reported after the gunfight, “Many of the very best law-abiding and peace-loving citizens [of Tombstone] have no confidence in the willingness of the civil officers to pursue and bring to justice that element of out-lawry so largely disturbing the sense of security…[The opinion] is quite prevalent that the civil officers are quite largely in league with the leaders of this disturbing and dangerous element

Nice reference But Truth does not = most money

• blomfeld - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Paledevil – No doubt friend, yet I’ve also never heard of rats attempting to get “aboard” a sinking ship ! When you’re on the trail of “money” as I see it, the one thing that you can always count on is it being predictable. You just watch what happens now with Bettman’s little charade here ! :)

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Dude, I’m sick of your conspiracy theories. Get real. It is impossible for anyone to assemble the strict compliance/complicity on such an enormous level that would be required to make your nonsense a reality. Remove your tinfoil hat and place it in the garbage along with the entire 2012-2013 NHL season.

• blomfeld - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM

“And I’m sick and tired of all you sheep believing everything you’re told” …

mmcneels81 – It’s a free country pal, where we’re all free to think what we want. I say that Bettman wanted this delay from Day One and that’s my prerogative to believe so, just as it’s yours to believe everything you read and hear in the media. I always laugh when people dismiss “premeditated or intended” action as being some dark, taboo “covert” conspiracy, which is always carried out by dubious men in dark suits in a dimly lit room. Look, I “conspired” this morning to make a cup of coffee, just as some company somewhere “conspired” to hold off submitting their October numbers for a scheduled tele-conference … it’s like whoppie doo ! I’m simply saying that in all likelihood Bettman’s got an agenda stuck in his head, which among other things includes a delay to the start of the season. We already know that he’s a stubborn and pompous ass and so it isn’t much of a stretch to appreciate that that’s probably what this is really all about. Personally I feel he’s wrong for pursuing this path, but then who am I to know better ? He apparently wants to continue with his “sunbelt” vision as opposed to “contraction & northward migration” and so maybe in that context this is the right course of action ?

“Later on, we’ll conspire, as we dream by the fire ..” :)

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:06 PM

There is nothing “taboo or dark” about a conspiracy theory. And a hold no judgement over those who choose to espouse them. It’s simply that most of the time they are poorly constructed ideas; relying mostly of rationalization and often ignoring plain logic.

By comparing this elaborate tale (that you incessantly burden us all with, which is my only beef with you) with your own “conspiracy this morning to make a cup of coffee,” you are missing one very big, obvious, and overriding detail: …to make coffee is a “conspiracy” of ONE MAN. To “hold off on submitting October numbers” is a “conspiracy” of ONE COMPANY. You speak of a conspiracy that would require the strict complicity of MANY HUNDREDS OF INDIVIDUALS. That requirement renders the theory false because humans never conspire en masse as individuals.

The labor unrest that we are witnessing is just that. You seem to think Gary Bettman is the only man involved, when in reality there are also 30 owners, Daly, and dozens of lawyers at a minimum ON THAT ONE SIDE OF THE TABLE. On the other side we find Fehr, dozens more lawyers, and how many men play in the NHL? It is simply not in the nature of this group of many hundreds of humans to all conspire with perfect execution to present us all with this pretty little play you have envisioned in your mind.

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Furthermore, if I were to argue that this is nothing more than a work stoppage due to (obnoxious) ongoing labor strife (which I am), my position would outweigh yours because I can actually support mine with a logical explanation of events.

Q. What is it?
        A. A work stoppage due to labor strife.

Q. What is the nature of the unrest?
        A. Impasse between league and union due to disagreement over proposed reallocation of revenue. i.e. Money.

Q. What caused it?
        A. The NHL, through years of horrible business practice, now finds itself in major financial trouble. As a solution, among other things, it wants to (essentially) roll back the pay of its players and reallocate the funds to help support the league. The players, on the other hand, believe the owners are bound by contract and are obligated to pay what they originally agreed to pay. The sides are trying – poorly – to reach an agreement, but as of now there is none and thus… no hockey.

Simple. No conspiracy required. We can instead agree to agree that we, as fans, are really really really pissed off.

• blomfeld - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM

mmcneels81 – Then how did they manage to launch Operation Desert Storm without tipping off the Iraqi Army ? … I believe there was more than one person involved in that, right ? :)

Look, all it takes is for Bettman to have the backing of a few “key” owners and nothing more … the hierarchy and apparatus simply behaves accordingly and as expected, given the circumstances … and bingo, Bob’s your uncle !

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Operation Desert Storm was not a conspiracy, blomguy… it was a battle plan. Simple as that. Call things what they are. An example of a conspiracy would be: the REAL purpose of Desert Storm was to drive Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, but to leave his weak regime in power SO THAT we could invade Iraq 12 years under the pretense of WMD when really our goal all along was to affect regime change in the Middle East and install a democracy that would give us easier access to oil.

Call things what they are.

Conspiracy “theories” are everywhere. The rule is that real conspiracies are only present when every other logical explanation fails. Otherwise they simply are not needed to explain anything.

But, whatever. In the interest of staying on topic: F*CK YOU, HOCKEY, YOU’RE DEAD TO ME!

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It’s not an act. It’s the manifestation of greed.

20. bensawesomeness - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Nothing short of Disgraceful

21. pistolpete31 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Is it weird I am glad it got cancelled. Hope the owners lose as much money as possible. This lockout has become a joke. They are more concerned about what they should cancel next rather than working on a deal.

22. comeonnowguys - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I get that Donald Fehr could really give two ****s about the future of hockey. He really doesn’t care, and has no reason to. Total bag.

But the owners? Bettman? The players? Thanks for nothing.

I have nothing left to say that wouldn’t be blocked by an obscenity filter.

23. rainyday56 - Nov 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

When do the layoffs start at PHT? (repatriate the Kurtenblog!!!!!!)

24. phillyphever - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Anyone got enough tar and feathers for both Bettman and Fehr? Also, who wants to bet Bud Selig is laughing at his ole buddy Fehr right now?

25. meldboy - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’ve thought all along that the Winter Classic was a bargaining chip that the players had in their pocket. That game is the national stage for the NHL to show case it’s product. It’s the equivalent of the NFL canceling the Super Bowl. With that game off the table now, what is left for the players to hold over the owners heads? I think the cancellation of the game was a strategic move by the owners, who could have afforded the cost of paying to hang onto the date. My prediction is there will be hockey in a month, the players lost leverage today.

26. jimw81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM

in related news, nhl wants to cancel Christmas and wants to prevent any college bowls games to be played on New Years Day.

27. elvispocomo - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:24 PM

If you ever wanted confirmation the NHL thought they weren’t close to be able to get a deal with the NHLPA, this is it. If they felt they could iron it out over the next couple weeks, then they’d probably try and keep that in place rather than lose the massive amounts of revenue the WC generates, since they’re likely to scrap the All Star week as well due to schedule constraints. That assumes the NHL is interested in a season at all – meaning they’ll need to do more than make a couple of phone calls after having shut down the NHLPA’s last 3 proposals in all of 15 minutes.

• claysbar - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Should scrap the All-Star game anyway, at least in it’s current format. Like the skills and the young stars portion but the rest is pretty blah. IMO.

• elvispocomo - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Until that ceases to be a money maker for the NHL (and whatever city gets to host it that year) they’ll continue to do it. Perhaps the format gets revamped, but the game itself will always be on.

It might still be entertaining for the young fans, but I agree it has lost it’s luster for a fair amount of others.

28. canuckinamerica - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The players are now, or soon will be, in a deficit situation even if they would have accepted the last proposal. There is no way for them to make back the lost monies. Fehr will ruin the game, almost like he did with baseball. Even as “America’s sport” it took a number of years for the game to get back its luster and return to post strike/lockout numbers. Hockey does not enjoy that same popularity here in the US, so the damage done by this CBA fiasco will most likely be enormous and very costly. Suggestion….if any fans live close to AHL franchises…..go support them. For a small financial layout you will get great tickets, cheap beer and watch young players bust their arses trying to get to that next level.

• ibieiniid - Nov 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

i’d dispute the cheap beer part =X

29. psousa1 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Bettman is too friggin stupid for words. With the way the BCS has destroyed college football The Winter Classic is becoming more synonomous with New Years Day. They could own this day. He and the other owner basically are saying “Hey, we were extremely happy to to take the expansion fees that Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix and the other non hockey markets were willing to pay but we didn’t realize just because we put a team there that people may not support it. Please rescue us from our own stupidity please.” A total worm and tyrant. Friggin people went nuts for the Kings last year. The NBA coach with the most championships, Phil Jackson, is on national TV last year saying he watched every minute he could of the NHL playoffs because it was more exciting than the NBA and this years winter classic was going to be the best ever. Detroit v Toronto at the big house with over 101,000 tickets sold. This guy is a grade A moron. Guaranteed when there is a resoloution this little turd is going to try to make the winter classic the feel good opening game of the season. He sucks. Only Bettman could f-ck this up. These aren’t NBA, NFL or MLB – these players have options to make good coin over in Europe. Look at those dopes in the NBA and NFL who blow through there money and don’t have the juice and cannot afford a work stoppage.

30. chrisvegas - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I really doubt we even have a season. This is so pathetic…. No sports league has even been so poorly ran as the NHL.

31. chrisvegas - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I wonder what they would do if we the fans locked out the owners.

32. mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Just so we’re clear, NHL… I’m done with you. My fandom has been revoked. I hope hundreds of thousands of others kick you to the curb as well. I want to see you lose your collective @$$ over this. I seriously hope that when/if you ever come back, there is so little fan support left that the entire league goes under. I will have no sympathy when the players lose their jobs and the owners’ investments all go to hell. Foolish, rich-sick, megalomaniacal cry babies… the whole lot of you.

• chrisvegas - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I hear you. I really hope this bites the NHL in the ass. They really deserve to get hit hard for this.

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I must be angrier about this than you. I literally want this to sink the entire league. That’s what they deserve. To be GONE.

33. echech88 - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The cruelest irony is that this story is getting literally no run in the mainstream sports media (Fox/ESPN) and therefore has little consequence to anyone but diehard hockey fans.

This is your classic “if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it…” scenario. If the league had taken the ESPN TV offer, it would be in the network’s interest to cover this story like crazy and push fan awareness to get games on TV.

Only they opted for some channel in the thousands on my TV box that I usually forget exists the majority of the time.

• drewsylvania - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM

This is because it is in those brands’ interest to only promote what they cover. It’s not the league’s fault, it’s the clowns at Fox and ESPN.

34. mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:13 PM

This league makes absolutely no sense. How any collection of individuals can be so incredibly stupid is beyond me. The NHL is broken and the only solution i see is to tear it down, kick everyone out, bring in some intelligent people that under stand business principles, and just effing start over. This is a clown league, bro.

• claysbar - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Big problem was that for a lot of years, buying an NHL team was the equivalent of buying a half occupied strip mall. You got just enough write-offs to make up for any other taxes you might owe. Now with the continued increase in wages(player, event staff etc.) the losses outweigh the benefits. Without a major American following, a major TV contract (sorry the Outdoor Network, VS, NBC sports channel does not equal a major TV contract ) and with this continuing labor relations strife, it’s hard to ever think this could be a major contender for the “Big 4″ when it comes to sports in N.A. Hell, Nascar dipping was the only real reason the NHL got back into the “Big 4″.

35. bleed4philly - Nov 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Maybe Disney can buy the NHL and keep the fire going.

36. fortwaynekomets - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I want to assassinate Gary Bettman. that greedy slimey piece of cow turd.
    Not returning to give any $$$ whatsoever to the NHL whenever it resumes.

37. dallasstars9 - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Simply put, what a shame.

38. thedavesiknowiknow - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM

39. drewsylvania - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

It was a bad day before this, so…### YOU YOU #### FACED ######## GET THE #### INTO MY ####### AND #### ON IT. HOW THE #### DID YOU DECIDE TO #### THIS UP AGAIN?

40. flyeredup - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I just cashed in my Flyers season tickets. I’m buying 76ers

• paledevil - Nov 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM

your lucky most cant get their money back ….. ” If an announcement is made by the NHL that indicates a reduction from the 82-game schedule, your account will be credited accordingly”

41. wranglerick - Nov 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM

If and when the games do start up again, would it be wise, as a 1 game protest, for no one to show up ?

• mmcneels81 - Nov 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM

YES! Yes, what a wonderful idea! I would laugh for days.

And then I’ll continue to be absent for the entirety of forever…

42. xaf605 - Nov 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Nbc sucks and so does the nhl lol losers!

43. wingsrule12 - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Wow what a shock. The czar of the NHL just ruined the biggest event outside of the finals. A chance to set a world record for attendance gone because he has to prove his power. Fire Bettman now before there is no league to come back to

44. 8man - Nov 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Well now its just kill the union and move on. The owners have already lost all the good will they built up since the last missed season.

Might as well go all the way and the tell the players, “Now, we have nothing to save. And that includes your careers. We have one final proposal. Agree or never, ever play in our league again.”

It’s really that simple. Players come. Players go. Commissioners and owners endure. Time for them to deal the death blow to the union and start over. Better to elevate all the minor league talent under new rules and grow the game than to go through this again. We as fans, well, the ones who stay, will adjust. Ultimately, we cheer for gear, not for names or faces.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches