Nov 2, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Les Habitants continued to invade Switzerland on Friday as National League A team Fribourg-Gotteron announced the signing of Montreal forward David Desharnais to a lockout deal.
He becomes the fourth Canadien to join a Swiss league team during the work stoppage. Raphael Diaz signed with Zug, Yannick Weber joined Geneve-Servette and Max Pacioretty briefly played for Ambri-Piotta before leaving the club in mid-October.
Desharnais, 26, had a breakout campaign with Montreal last season, posting career highs in games played (81), goals (16), assists (44) and points (60). He finished third on the team in scoring and averaged 18:24 of ice time.
It’s been a long trip to NHL success for the undrafted free agent. Just four years ago, Desharnais was starring in the East Coast Hockey League (he won the league’s MVP in 2007-08) and only established himself as an NHL regular in the second half of 2010-11.
Now, he’s Fribourg’s big lockout signing, the club’s response to a number of Swiss league teams that have loaded up with NHL stars. Rapperswil signed Michael Del Zotto and Jason Spezza, Davos signed Joe Thornton and Rick Nash and Biel signed Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)