Nov 2, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Les Habitants continued to invade Switzerland on Friday as National League A team Fribourg-Gotteron announced the signing of Montreal forward David Desharnais to a lockout deal.
He becomes the fourth Canadien to join a Swiss league team during the work stoppage. Raphael Diaz signed with Zug, Yannick Weber joined Geneve-Servette and Max Pacioretty briefly played for Ambri-Piotta before leaving the club in mid-October.
Desharnais, 26, had a breakout campaign with Montreal last season, posting career highs in games played (81), goals (16), assists (44) and points (60). He finished third on the team in scoring and averaged 18:24 of ice time.
It’s been a long trip to NHL success for the undrafted free agent. Just four years ago, Desharnais was starring in the East Coast Hockey League (he won the league’s MVP in 2007-08) and only established himself as an NHL regular in the second half of 2010-11.
Now, he’s Fribourg’s big lockout signing, the club’s response to a number of Swiss league teams that have loaded up with NHL stars. Rapperswil signed Michael Del Zotto and Jason Spezza, Davos signed Joe Thornton and Rick Nash and Biel signed Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 30
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness