Nov 2, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Georges Laraque plans to resign as executive director of the CHLPA following a tumultuous week for the aspiring junior hockey union.
In an interview with the Globe and Mail, Laraque said it would be best if a more experienced labor group represented the players.
“I think the right team could do this, especially after all that we’ve done,” he said. “For those kids, we’re not quitting. We’re passing it on.”
Earlier this week, reports linked convicted fraudster Randy Gumbley to the CHLPA. And while the union denied he had “any official position” with the organization, it’s important to note the word “official,” as it soon emerged that Gumbley’s brother, Glenn, was involved.
Anyway, the whole story is too long and convoluted for a short blog post. (We haven’t even mentioned the name Derek Clarke.) The Globe and Mail has a detailed article on the saga, as does the Toronto Star.
The mystery of Laraque’s sabotaged tire remains unsolved to our knowledge.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks