Nov 2, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
Georges Laraque plans to resign as executive director of the CHLPA following a tumultuous week for the aspiring junior hockey union.
In an interview with the Globe and Mail, Laraque said it would be best if a more experienced labor group represented the players.
“I think the right team could do this, especially after all that we’ve done,” he said. “For those kids, we’re not quitting. We’re passing it on.”
Earlier this week, reports linked convicted fraudster Randy Gumbley to the CHLPA. And while the union denied he had “any official position” with the organization, it’s important to note the word “official,” as it soon emerged that Gumbley’s brother, Glenn, was involved.
Anyway, the whole story is too long and convoluted for a short blog post. (We haven’t even mentioned the name Derek Clarke.) The Globe and Mail has a detailed article on the saga, as does the Toronto Star.
The mystery of Laraque’s sabotaged tire remains unsolved to our knowledge.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)