Nov 2, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
Once the NHL starts playing hockey again, don’t be surprised if the Edmonton Oilers make a big splash in the trade market.
Thursday on Edmonton radio (via Cult of Hockey), Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe admitted: “Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”
According to The Province’s Jason Botchford, the Oilers did at one point make an offer for Luongo, though it’s not clear what they proposed in return. (Toronto remains the consensus pick for Luongo’s next team.)
Lowe also suggested Edmonton may look at upgrading its defense.
Regardless of which areas the Oilers choose to address, they’ve got plenty of assets to put on the table. Assuming forwards Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov are untouchable, they could dangle the likes of Sam Gagner and/or Ales Hemsky, plus they could offer up draft picks.
After six straight seasons of missing the playoffs, Lowe knows it’s time for the Oilers to take the next step:
“…absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some tough choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 78
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)