Nov 2, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Once the NHL starts playing hockey again, don’t be surprised if the Edmonton Oilers make a big splash in the trade market.
Thursday on Edmonton radio (via Cult of Hockey), Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe admitted: “Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”
According to The Province’s Jason Botchford, the Oilers did at one point make an offer for Luongo, though it’s not clear what they proposed in return. (Toronto remains the consensus pick for Luongo’s next team.)
Lowe also suggested Edmonton may look at upgrading its defense.
Regardless of which areas the Oilers choose to address, they’ve got plenty of assets to put on the table. Assuming forwards Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov are untouchable, they could dangle the likes of Sam Gagner and/or Ales Hemsky, plus they could offer up draft picks.
After six straight seasons of missing the playoffs, Lowe knows it’s time for the Oilers to take the next step:
“…absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some tough choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team.”
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)