Nov 2, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Once the NHL starts playing hockey again, don’t be surprised if the Edmonton Oilers make a big splash in the trade market.
Thursday on Edmonton radio (via Cult of Hockey), Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe admitted: “Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”
According to The Province’s Jason Botchford, the Oilers did at one point make an offer for Luongo, though it’s not clear what they proposed in return. (Toronto remains the consensus pick for Luongo’s next team.)
Lowe also suggested Edmonton may look at upgrading its defense.
Regardless of which areas the Oilers choose to address, they’ve got plenty of assets to put on the table. Assuming forwards Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov are untouchable, they could dangle the likes of Sam Gagner and/or Ales Hemsky, plus they could offer up draft picks.
After six straight seasons of missing the playoffs, Lowe knows it’s time for the Oilers to take the next step:
“…absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some tough choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 0
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)