Nov 2, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Once the NHL starts playing hockey again, don’t be surprised if the Edmonton Oilers make a big splash in the trade market.
Thursday on Edmonton radio (via Cult of Hockey), Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe admitted: “Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”
According to The Province’s Jason Botchford, the Oilers did at one point make an offer for Luongo, though it’s not clear what they proposed in return. (Toronto remains the consensus pick for Luongo’s next team.)
Lowe also suggested Edmonton may look at upgrading its defense.
Regardless of which areas the Oilers choose to address, they’ve got plenty of assets to put on the table. Assuming forwards Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov are untouchable, they could dangle the likes of Sam Gagner and/or Ales Hemsky, plus they could offer up draft picks.
After six straight seasons of missing the playoffs, Lowe knows it’s time for the Oilers to take the next step:
“…absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some tough choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)