Nov 2, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
Once the NHL starts playing hockey again, don’t be surprised if the Edmonton Oilers make a big splash in the trade market.
Thursday on Edmonton radio (via Cult of Hockey), Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe admitted: “Goaltending is a question mark, and I say that in all respect to Devan Dubnyk and Khabi (Nikolai Khabibulin). Khabi has been injured and he’s approaching 40. He’s given us stretches of strong goaltending but his health is one thing.”
According to The Province’s Jason Botchford, the Oilers did at one point make an offer for Luongo, though it’s not clear what they proposed in return. (Toronto remains the consensus pick for Luongo’s next team.)
Lowe also suggested Edmonton may look at upgrading its defense.
Regardless of which areas the Oilers choose to address, they’ve got plenty of assets to put on the table. Assuming forwards Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov are untouchable, they could dangle the likes of Sam Gagner and/or Ales Hemsky, plus they could offer up draft picks.
After six straight seasons of missing the playoffs, Lowe knows it’s time for the Oilers to take the next step:
“…absolutely, we’re at some point, whenever that is, we’re probably not too far down the road, we’re going to have to make some tough choices and maybe move some players, or a player, draft picks, to get a piece or two that finishes off the formation of what you feel is a championship team.”
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 21
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 24
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 24
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)