Nov 2, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
The AHL Bridgeport Sound Tigers want to do what they can to help people coping with the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy. For that reason, they have decided to offer free admission to their games this weekend, according to an NHL report.
“We’ve seen the damage — we feel it,” team president Howard Saffan said. “We want to give back to the community. … We encourage you to bring your friends and family to Webster Bank Arena this weekend and enjoy yourselves during this difficult time.”
Fans coming to the game can also help out by bringing non-perishable food for those victimized by the storm.
If you’ve already bought tickets to either of their upcoming contests, you can exchange them for any future 2012-13 Bridgeport Sound Tigers home game, with the exception of those against the AHL Connecticut Whale.
The Sound Tigers are the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliates and top-tier prospect Nino Niederreiter is leading the team in scoring thus far.
They will face Washington’s AHL-affiliate, the Hershey Bears on Saturday at 7pm ET and Pittsburgh’s top minor league team, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Sunday at 3pm ET.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)