Nov 2, 2012, 2:45 PM EST
The first goal came courtesy Steve McCarthy at 4:28 of the third period. Then, right after the ensuing faceoff, Ben Street sent a long shot down the ice that beat Scrivens at 4:31.
Even more impressive? Both goals were scored shorthanded.
Considerably less impressive? Only 1,951 fans were there to see it.
In a related story, the city’s taxpayers will once again have to foot the bill for a season’s worth of the team’s losses, this time to the tune of $1.76 million.
From the Abbotsford Times:
The average attendance required to meet the break-even point is 3,905 paid customers; the paid customer base in 2011/12 was 2,653, according to the city.
The Heat ownership group has a 10-year supply fee agreement with the city that guarantees $5.7 million in annual revenue.
The 2011/12 shortfall follows a payout of $1,305,511 for the 2010/11 season and $450,637 in the team’s inaugural 2009/2010 year.
Considering Abbotsford is about an hour’s drive east of Vancouver, it’s not overly surprising the AHL affiliate of the Calgary Flames has struggled for fan support.
In August, it was reported that Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini was looking to purchase the Heat’s arena from the city and work out a deal to move Vancouver’s farm team (currently the AHL’s Chicago Wolves) closer to home.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)