Nov 1, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
That’s dampened plenty of spirits, but Jeremy Roenick hasn’t given up on the CBA negotiations.
“I’m still holding hope that sensibility is going to come of the owners and the players,” Roenick told Sportsnet 590.
We have seen some glimmers of hope, but not a lot tangible progress lately. Still, Roenick doesn’t think the two sides have much of a bridge to gap at this point.
“If all they’re really worried about right now is whether to honor the current contracts or not, you would think they should be close to a deal,” Roenick said. “They’re both willing to go to 50-50 and there’s a discrepancy on how long it takes to get there. Owners want it right now and players want it in two and a half to three years. You wouldn’t it’s going to take too long to get it done.”
Given that, Roenick doesn’t understand why the two sides aren’t in a room right now getting this ironed out, but he speculates that this might be a case of the two sides playing “hardball.”
He’s still hoping that we’ll have a deal done by Christmas.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 23
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 56
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte