Nov 1, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
That’s dampened plenty of spirits, but Jeremy Roenick hasn’t given up on the CBA negotiations.
“I’m still holding hope that sensibility is going to come of the owners and the players,” Roenick told Sportsnet 590.
We have seen some glimmers of hope, but not a lot tangible progress lately. Still, Roenick doesn’t think the two sides have much of a bridge to gap at this point.
“If all they’re really worried about right now is whether to honor the current contracts or not, you would think they should be close to a deal,” Roenick said. “They’re both willing to go to 50-50 and there’s a discrepancy on how long it takes to get there. Owners want it right now and players want it in two and a half to three years. You wouldn’t it’s going to take too long to get it done.”
Given that, Roenick doesn’t understand why the two sides aren’t in a room right now getting this ironed out, but he speculates that this might be a case of the two sides playing “hardball.”
He’s still hoping that we’ll have a deal done by Christmas.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)