Nov 1, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
That’s dampened plenty of spirits, but Jeremy Roenick hasn’t given up on the CBA negotiations.
“I’m still holding hope that sensibility is going to come of the owners and the players,” Roenick told Sportsnet 590.
We have seen some glimmers of hope, but not a lot tangible progress lately. Still, Roenick doesn’t think the two sides have much of a bridge to gap at this point.
“If all they’re really worried about right now is whether to honor the current contracts or not, you would think they should be close to a deal,” Roenick said. “They’re both willing to go to 50-50 and there’s a discrepancy on how long it takes to get there. Owners want it right now and players want it in two and a half to three years. You wouldn’t it’s going to take too long to get it done.”
Given that, Roenick doesn’t understand why the two sides aren’t in a room right now getting this ironed out, but he speculates that this might be a case of the two sides playing “hardball.”
He’s still hoping that we’ll have a deal done by Christmas.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)