Nov 1, 2012, 1:22 PM EST
It appears reports of Dustin Brown signing in the KHL were premature.
Just two days after Vityaz Chekhov GM Alexei Zhamnov said he was close to a deal with the Kings captain, Brown flipped the script by agreeing to terms with Zurich of the Swiss National League A.
News of the Zurich signing was first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Brown, 27, will join a Lions club with some familiar faces — Marc Crawford, who coached Brown for two seasons in Los Angeles and Jeff Tambellini who, like Brown, was a first-round pick in 2003.
Brown and Tambellini also made their NHL debuts with the Kings in 2005-06.
The signing is a significant one for Zurich, the defending Swiss league champ that’s seen a number of rival clubs load up on locked-out NHLers. Brown is coming off a stellar Cup run with the Kings, pacing the team with 8G-12A-20PTS in 20 games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
In the opening round, he tied a playoff record by scoring two shorthanded goals in a Game 2 victory over the Canucks.
With the move, Brown becomes just the fourth King to sign overseas during the work stoppage. Anze Kopitar signed in the Swedish second division, Alec Martinez joined TPS of the Finnish league and Jonathan Bernier inked with Heilbronner of the Germany’s tier two, the Bundesliga.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 23
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)