Nov 1, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
After posting five goals and two assists in a three-game sweep of San Francisco, Alaska Aces forward Brandon Dubinsky was named the ECHL’s Player of the Week for Oct. 22-28.
Dubinsky spent the last six seasons with the New York Rangers before July’s Rick Nash trade saw him shipped to Columbus.
The 26-year-old has nearly 400 NHL games on his resume but, because of this stupid lockout, is now edging out Florida’s Justin Shugg and Idaho’s Kael Mouillierat for ECHL Player of the Week honors.
On a brighter note, winning POW means the league will donate a case of pucks to an Alaskan youth hockey organization on Dubinsky’s behalf. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Oh yeah, this isn’t the first time an NHLer parachuted into the East Coast league and stole some serious hardware. During the 2004-05 lockout, Scott Gomez lit it up while playing for the Aces and captured most valuable player honors.
In the process, Gomez joined an illustrious list of ECHL MVPs that includes Vadim Slivchenko and Hugo P. Belanger. Neither of those names are made up.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)