Nov 1, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
After posting five goals and two assists in a three-game sweep of San Francisco, Alaska Aces forward Brandon Dubinsky was named the ECHL’s Player of the Week for Oct. 22-28.
Dubinsky spent the last six seasons with the New York Rangers before July’s Rick Nash trade saw him shipped to Columbus.
The 26-year-old has nearly 400 NHL games on his resume but, because of this stupid lockout, is now edging out Florida’s Justin Shugg and Idaho’s Kael Mouillierat for ECHL Player of the Week honors.
On a brighter note, winning POW means the league will donate a case of pucks to an Alaskan youth hockey organization on Dubinsky’s behalf. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Oh yeah, this isn’t the first time an NHLer parachuted into the East Coast league and stole some serious hardware. During the 2004-05 lockout, Scott Gomez lit it up while playing for the Aces and captured most valuable player honors.
In the process, Gomez joined an illustrious list of ECHL MVPs that includes Vadim Slivchenko and Hugo P. Belanger. Neither of those names are made up.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)