Nov 1, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
After posting five goals and two assists in a three-game sweep of San Francisco, Alaska Aces forward Brandon Dubinsky was named the ECHL’s Player of the Week for Oct. 22-28.
Dubinsky spent the last six seasons with the New York Rangers before July’s Rick Nash trade saw him shipped to Columbus.
The 26-year-old has nearly 400 NHL games on his resume but, because of this stupid lockout, is now edging out Florida’s Justin Shugg and Idaho’s Kael Mouillierat for ECHL Player of the Week honors.
On a brighter note, winning POW means the league will donate a case of pucks to an Alaskan youth hockey organization on Dubinsky’s behalf. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Oh yeah, this isn’t the first time an NHLer parachuted into the East Coast league and stole some serious hardware. During the 2004-05 lockout, Scott Gomez lit it up while playing for the Aces and captured most valuable player honors.
In the process, Gomez joined an illustrious list of ECHL MVPs that includes Vadim Slivchenko and Hugo P. Belanger. Neither of those names are made up.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)