Nov 1, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
After posting five goals and two assists in a three-game sweep of San Francisco, Alaska Aces forward Brandon Dubinsky was named the ECHL’s Player of the Week for Oct. 22-28.
Dubinsky spent the last six seasons with the New York Rangers before July’s Rick Nash trade saw him shipped to Columbus.
The 26-year-old has nearly 400 NHL games on his resume but, because of this stupid lockout, is now edging out Florida’s Justin Shugg and Idaho’s Kael Mouillierat for ECHL Player of the Week honors.
On a brighter note, winning POW means the league will donate a case of pucks to an Alaskan youth hockey organization on Dubinsky’s behalf. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Oh yeah, this isn’t the first time an NHLer parachuted into the East Coast league and stole some serious hardware. During the 2004-05 lockout, Scott Gomez lit it up while playing for the Aces and captured most valuable player honors.
In the process, Gomez joined an illustrious list of ECHL MVPs that includes Vadim Slivchenko and Hugo P. Belanger. Neither of those names are made up.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)