Nov 1, 2012, 4:32 PM EST
After posting five goals and two assists in a three-game sweep of San Francisco, Alaska Aces forward Brandon Dubinsky was named the ECHL’s Player of the Week for Oct. 22-28.
Dubinsky spent the last six seasons with the New York Rangers before July’s Rick Nash trade saw him shipped to Columbus.
The 26-year-old has nearly 400 NHL games on his resume but, because of this stupid lockout, is now edging out Florida’s Justin Shugg and Idaho’s Kael Mouillierat for ECHL Player of the Week honors.
On a brighter note, winning POW means the league will donate a case of pucks to an Alaskan youth hockey organization on Dubinsky’s behalf. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Oh yeah, this isn’t the first time an NHLer parachuted into the East Coast league and stole some serious hardware. During the 2004-05 lockout, Scott Gomez lit it up while playing for the Aces and captured most valuable player honors.
In the process, Gomez joined an illustrious list of ECHL MVPs that includes Vadim Slivchenko and Hugo P. Belanger. Neither of those names are made up.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 56
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)