Nov 1, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
The CHLPA “categorically denies” that Randy Gumbley has “any official position” with the aspiring junior hockey union.
The denial comes one day after various reports suggested that often-heard-from-but-rarely-seen union spokesman Derek Clarke is actually Gumbley, a convicted fraudster.
The CHLPA believes it’s all part of a plot to keep the CHL from being unionized.
“This issue is more than a smokescreen,” the union said in a statement, “it’s a high-handed union busting tactic to undermine the union in the eyes of the players. It’s outrageous!”
It’s been reported that Clarke – the “real Derek,” according to his lawyer – will appear on TSN today to clarify the situation. (We’d sure like to know how CHLPA executive director Georges Laraque could be shown a picture of Gumbley and say it was a picture of Clarke.)
However, the CHLPA says that today’s statement “will be the last statement from the CHLPA regarding this topic” and that it’s “going to focus its resources and energy on organizing in the certification applications already before the various labor boards.”
Update (3:30 p.m. ET):
Spoke to Georges Laraque who claims that Randy Gumbley's brother is working for the CHLPA and they look very similar.—
Sunaya Sapurji (@sunayas) November 01, 2012
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 19
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 18
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 120
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7