Nov 1, 2012, 10:48 AM EST
Coming off the best year of his NHL career, Radim Vrbata has decided to give back.
The Phoenix Coyotes forward has agreed to join Czech Hokejova Liga team BK Mlada Boleslav, according to the club website. The move to a lower-division club makes sense, as Vrbata is a 33 percent minority owner in the team.
The 31-year-old originally played for Boleslav at the junior level before jumping the pond to play for QMJHL Hull in 1998, but also briefly joined club after leaving the Tampa Bay Lighning 18 games games into the 2008-09 NHL season.
As mentioned above, Vrbata is coming off a wildly successful 2011-12 campaign with the Coyotes. He notched a career best 35 goals — tied for 11th most in the league — and led the entire NHL in game-winning goals, with 12.
The Czech sniper did all this in the first season of the three-year, $9 million deal signed with Phoenix in 2011.
With Boleslav, Vrbata will be joined by ex-Columbus Blue Jackets forward David Vyborny, who serves as the team’s captain.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)