Nov 1, 2012, 10:48 AM EST
Coming off the best year of his NHL career, Radim Vrbata has decided to give back.
The Phoenix Coyotes forward has agreed to join Czech Hokejova Liga team BK Mlada Boleslav, according to the club website. The move to a lower-division club makes sense, as Vrbata is a 33 percent minority owner in the team.
The 31-year-old originally played for Boleslav at the junior level before jumping the pond to play for QMJHL Hull in 1998, but also briefly joined club after leaving the Tampa Bay Lighning 18 games games into the 2008-09 NHL season.
As mentioned above, Vrbata is coming off a wildly successful 2011-12 campaign with the Coyotes. He notched a career best 35 goals — tied for 11th most in the league — and led the entire NHL in game-winning goals, with 12.
The Czech sniper did all this in the first season of the three-year, $9 million deal signed with Phoenix in 2011.
With Boleslav, Vrbata will be joined by ex-Columbus Blue Jackets forward David Vyborny, who serves as the team’s captain.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 71
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)