Oct 31, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
When the Red Wings signed Swiss star Damien Brunner this summer, they were hoping he’d turn into another international surprise find. As it turns out, they may have been right… Just not the way they intended it to work out.
“Detroit said they were going to put (Brunner) on a line with Zetterberg, so I got to do it first,” EV Zug coach Doug Shedden said Wednesday in an interview. “I texted (Red Wings GM) Kenny Holland and said: ‘It works.'”
In just five games, Zetterberg has seven goals and 11 points. Meanwhile, Brunner leads the National League with 10 goals and 26 points in 15 games. With fellow NHL talents Rafael Diaz (Montreal) and Linus Omark (Edmonton), EV Zug has a pretty loaded team.
What Brunner and Zetterberg are doing, however, is enough to likely make Detroit feel confident they’ll have a good thing waiting for them whenever the lockout ends.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)