Oct 31, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Michael Ferland, Calgary’s fifth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, will be in court on June 24 to face assault charges stemming from a bar fight.
On July 29, Ferland was allegedly engaged in an incident outside of an establishment in a town west of Calgary.
Here’s more, from the Calgary Sun:
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and had the orbital bone around his eye fractured.
Police said the attacker then fled from the scene but an investigation led to the charges.
Shortly after the incident, Ferland released a statement through his lawyer, Michael Bates, denying any wrongdoing.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt,” Ferland said. “I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible.”
Ferland, 20, is currently with the Flames’ AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, but has yet to appear in a game this season.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)