Oct 31, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Michael Ferland, Calgary’s fifth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, will be in court on June 24 to face assault charges stemming from a bar fight.
On July 29, Ferland was allegedly engaged in an incident outside of an establishment in a town west of Calgary.
Here’s more, from the Calgary Sun:
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and had the orbital bone around his eye fractured.
Police said the attacker then fled from the scene but an investigation led to the charges.
Shortly after the incident, Ferland released a statement through his lawyer, Michael Bates, denying any wrongdoing.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt,” Ferland said. “I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible.”
Ferland, 20, is currently with the Flames’ AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, but has yet to appear in a game this season.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 0
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 15
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 8
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)