Oct 31, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Michael Ferland, Calgary’s fifth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, will be in court on June 24 to face assault charges stemming from a bar fight.
On July 29, Ferland was allegedly engaged in an incident outside of an establishment in a town west of Calgary.
Here’s more, from the Calgary Sun:
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and had the orbital bone around his eye fractured.
Police said the attacker then fled from the scene but an investigation led to the charges.
Shortly after the incident, Ferland released a statement through his lawyer, Michael Bates, denying any wrongdoing.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt,” Ferland said. “I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible.”
Ferland, 20, is currently with the Flames’ AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, but has yet to appear in a game this season.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 3
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 50
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 64
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)