Oct 31, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Michael Ferland, Calgary’s fifth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, will be in court on June 24 to face assault charges stemming from a bar fight.
On July 29, Ferland was allegedly engaged in an incident outside of an establishment in a town west of Calgary.
Here’s more, from the Calgary Sun:
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment at around 1:10 a.m. when one male was pushed to the ground.
When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and had the orbital bone around his eye fractured.
Police said the attacker then fled from the scene but an investigation led to the charges.
Shortly after the incident, Ferland released a statement through his lawyer, Michael Bates, denying any wrongdoing.
“It upset me to hear that someone might have been hurt,” Ferland said. “I am embarrassed by these accusations but I trust the court process and look forward to having this situation behind me as soon as possible.”
Ferland, 20, is currently with the Flames’ AHL affiliate in Abbotsford, but has yet to appear in a game this season.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)