Oct 31, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
It’s been a tough road to the NHL for Justin Falk. The 24-year-old was drafted 110th overall in 2007 and has spent most of his pro career in the AHL with the Houston Aeros.
In 2011-12, things started looking up for the big defenseman. He played 47 games for the Minnesota Wild, scoring once and adding eight assists while killing penalties and providing a physical presence on the blue line.
In July, Falk was rewarded with a one-year, $825,000 contract extension. It was a one-way deal, the first he’s received from the organization.
Now, just as he was emerging as an NHL regular, he finds himself in the midst of a lockout that’s threatening the entire 2012-13 season.
And he’s worried about it.
“I need a season here,” he told the StarTribune. “It’s a tough situation. We stand together as a union, but there’s such a variety of players — guys on the bubble with one-year contracts that need games to play in this league.
“I want this to be a start of a career in the National Hockey League. It’s hard not to worry this could do a lot of damage in my career. I need to keep progressing because there’s always someone knocking on the door.”
Falk isn’t fabulously wealthy. He’s maybe earned $1 million as a pro, not including taxes and agent fees.
All of which is to ask, if the split between the owners and players is going to get to 50/50 eventually, how much do you think he cares if it gets there next season (and he loses a few bucks to escrow) or if it takes a few years?
Does he care enough to jeopardize his career?
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 10
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 22
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 76
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (76)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole