Oct 31, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Sean O’Donnell is a 17-year NHL veteran. He’s played for eight different teams and he’s 41 years-old and a free agent. He’s also busy trying to fight for the players against the owners in the lockout.
As he tells Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, if the lockout goes much longer his playing career is in doubt.
“Even if the lockout ends quickly, there’s still no guarantees that I’m going to find work this year,” O’Donnell told ESPN.com Wednesday. “And if I don’t, I think I had a pretty good career. But you can say 100 percent sure that if this goes long or we miss the whole year, then my career is done. But it’s one of those things where you have to think what’s best for the union.”
We’ve heard from guys like Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne worry that time marching on will ruin their shot at playing one more year as well. For guys like O’Donnell though, they’re in an even tougher spot because they’re not stars who can still fill the score sheet.
Missing out on the chance to end your career on your own terms is something that would only strengthen O’Donnell’s resolve to help the players’ union get the best deal.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)