Oct 31, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Sean O’Donnell is a 17-year NHL veteran. He’s played for eight different teams and he’s 41 years-old and a free agent. He’s also busy trying to fight for the players against the owners in the lockout.
As he tells Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, if the lockout goes much longer his playing career is in doubt.
“Even if the lockout ends quickly, there’s still no guarantees that I’m going to find work this year,” O’Donnell told ESPN.com Wednesday. “And if I don’t, I think I had a pretty good career. But you can say 100 percent sure that if this goes long or we miss the whole year, then my career is done. But it’s one of those things where you have to think what’s best for the union.”
We’ve heard from guys like Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne worry that time marching on will ruin their shot at playing one more year as well. For guys like O’Donnell though, they’re in an even tougher spot because they’re not stars who can still fill the score sheet.
Missing out on the chance to end your career on your own terms is something that would only strengthen O’Donnell’s resolve to help the players’ union get the best deal.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 56
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (56)