Oct 31, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Sean O’Donnell is a 17-year NHL veteran. He’s played for eight different teams and he’s 41 years-old and a free agent. He’s also busy trying to fight for the players against the owners in the lockout.
As he tells Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, if the lockout goes much longer his playing career is in doubt.
“Even if the lockout ends quickly, there’s still no guarantees that I’m going to find work this year,” O’Donnell told ESPN.com Wednesday. “And if I don’t, I think I had a pretty good career. But you can say 100 percent sure that if this goes long or we miss the whole year, then my career is done. But it’s one of those things where you have to think what’s best for the union.”
We’ve heard from guys like Jaromir Jagr and Teemu Selanne worry that time marching on will ruin their shot at playing one more year as well. For guys like O’Donnell though, they’re in an even tougher spot because they’re not stars who can still fill the score sheet.
Missing out on the chance to end your career on your own terms is something that would only strengthen O’Donnell’s resolve to help the players’ union get the best deal.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)