Korpikoski: I’ll send Phoenix DVDs of my Finnish league play, “to show that I can score on power play”
Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Since signing with TPS Turku earlier this month, Coyotes forward Lauri Korpikoski has taken the SM-liiga by storm, scoring nine points in just four games — with much of his production coming on the man advantage.
Now, he has a message for Phoenix:
Put me on the power play.
Juha Hileta of Ilta-Sanomat provides the translation of a piece by Finnish broadcasting company Yle:
“When NHL season starts, I’m going to send DVDs to #Coyotes to show that I can score on power play”, says Lauri Korpikoski (4GP, 5G, 4A)
— Juha Hiitelä (@jhiitela) October 31, 2012
Statistically speaking, Korpikoski might have a legitimate beef with ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett.
The 26-year-old Finn has posted solid back-to-back seasons since coming to Phoenix (from the Rangers) in 2009. In 2010-11, he scored 19G-21A-40PTS in 79 games played and in 2011-12, posted 17G-20A-37PTS in 82 games — yet his time on the man advantage rarely reflects his ability to produce offensively.
Last season Korpikoski averaged just 43 power play seconds per game, which was less than Coyotes teammate Raffi Torres.
The year prior, he finished 18th on the team in average PP ice time — 41 seconds per game.
Now, do keep in mind racking up power play points against the likes of KalPa and Assat is hardly comparable to doing it against the Kings and Devils, and Korpikoski has yet to score a PPG over his 300-game NHL career.
But at the same time…this should make for an interesting conversation whenever the Coyotes’ season gets underway.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)