Korpikoski: I’ll send Phoenix DVDs of my Finnish league play, “to show that I can score on power play”
Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 AM EST
Since signing with TPS Turku earlier this month, Coyotes forward Lauri Korpikoski has taken the SM-liiga by storm, scoring nine points in just four games — with much of his production coming on the man advantage.
Now, he has a message for Phoenix:
Put me on the power play.
Juha Hileta of Ilta-Sanomat provides the translation of a piece by Finnish broadcasting company Yle:
“When NHL season starts, I’m going to send DVDs to #Coyotes to show that I can score on power play”, says Lauri Korpikoski (4GP, 5G, 4A)
— Juha Hiitelä (@jhiitela) October 31, 2012
Statistically speaking, Korpikoski might have a legitimate beef with ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett.
The 26-year-old Finn has posted solid back-to-back seasons since coming to Phoenix (from the Rangers) in 2009. In 2010-11, he scored 19G-21A-40PTS in 79 games played and in 2011-12, posted 17G-20A-37PTS in 82 games — yet his time on the man advantage rarely reflects his ability to produce offensively.
Last season Korpikoski averaged just 43 power play seconds per game, which was less than Coyotes teammate Raffi Torres.
The year prior, he finished 18th on the team in average PP ice time — 41 seconds per game.
Now, do keep in mind racking up power play points against the likes of KalPa and Assat is hardly comparable to doing it against the Kings and Devils, and Korpikoski has yet to score a PPG over his 300-game NHL career.
But at the same time…this should make for an interesting conversation whenever the Coyotes’ season gets underway.
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)