Korpikoski: I’ll send Phoenix DVDs of my Finnish league play, “to show that I can score on power play”
Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Since signing with TPS Turku earlier this month, Coyotes forward Lauri Korpikoski has taken the SM-liiga by storm, scoring nine points in just four games — with much of his production coming on the man advantage.
Now, he has a message for Phoenix:
Put me on the power play.
Juha Hileta of Ilta-Sanomat provides the translation of a piece by Finnish broadcasting company Yle:
“When NHL season starts, I’m going to send DVDs to #Coyotes to show that I can score on power play”, says Lauri Korpikoski (4GP, 5G, 4A)
— Juha Hiitelä (@jhiitela) October 31, 2012
Statistically speaking, Korpikoski might have a legitimate beef with ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett.
The 26-year-old Finn has posted solid back-to-back seasons since coming to Phoenix (from the Rangers) in 2009. In 2010-11, he scored 19G-21A-40PTS in 79 games played and in 2011-12, posted 17G-20A-37PTS in 82 games — yet his time on the man advantage rarely reflects his ability to produce offensively.
Last season Korpikoski averaged just 43 power play seconds per game, which was less than Coyotes teammate Raffi Torres.
The year prior, he finished 18th on the team in average PP ice time — 41 seconds per game.
Now, do keep in mind racking up power play points against the likes of KalPa and Assat is hardly comparable to doing it against the Kings and Devils, and Korpikoski has yet to score a PPG over his 300-game NHL career.
But at the same time…this should make for an interesting conversation whenever the Coyotes’ season gets underway.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)