Korpikoski: I’ll send Phoenix DVDs of my Finnish league play, “to show that I can score on power play”
Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Since signing with TPS Turku earlier this month, Coyotes forward Lauri Korpikoski has taken the SM-liiga by storm, scoring nine points in just four games — with much of his production coming on the man advantage.
Now, he has a message for Phoenix:
Put me on the power play.
Juha Hileta of Ilta-Sanomat provides the translation of a piece by Finnish broadcasting company Yle:
“When NHL season starts, I’m going to send DVDs to #Coyotes to show that I can score on power play”, says Lauri Korpikoski (4GP, 5G, 4A)
— Juha Hiitelä (@jhiitela) October 31, 2012
Statistically speaking, Korpikoski might have a legitimate beef with ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett.
The 26-year-old Finn has posted solid back-to-back seasons since coming to Phoenix (from the Rangers) in 2009. In 2010-11, he scored 19G-21A-40PTS in 79 games played and in 2011-12, posted 17G-20A-37PTS in 82 games — yet his time on the man advantage rarely reflects his ability to produce offensively.
Last season Korpikoski averaged just 43 power play seconds per game, which was less than Coyotes teammate Raffi Torres.
The year prior, he finished 18th on the team in average PP ice time — 41 seconds per game.
Now, do keep in mind racking up power play points against the likes of KalPa and Assat is hardly comparable to doing it against the Kings and Devils, and Korpikoski has yet to score a PPG over his 300-game NHL career.
But at the same time…this should make for an interesting conversation whenever the Coyotes’ season gets underway.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)