Korpikoski: I’ll send Phoenix DVDs of my Finnish league play, “to show that I can score on power play”
Oct 31, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Since signing with TPS Turku earlier this month, Coyotes forward Lauri Korpikoski has taken the SM-liiga by storm, scoring nine points in just four games — with much of his production coming on the man advantage.
Now, he has a message for Phoenix:
Put me on the power play.
Juha Hileta of Ilta-Sanomat provides the translation of a piece by Finnish broadcasting company Yle:
“When NHL season starts, I’m going to send DVDs to #Coyotes to show that I can score on power play”, says Lauri Korpikoski (4GP, 5G, 4A)
— Juha Hiitelä (@jhiitela) October 31, 2012
Statistically speaking, Korpikoski might have a legitimate beef with ‘Yotes head coach Dave Tippett.
The 26-year-old Finn has posted solid back-to-back seasons since coming to Phoenix (from the Rangers) in 2009. In 2010-11, he scored 19G-21A-40PTS in 79 games played and in 2011-12, posted 17G-20A-37PTS in 82 games — yet his time on the man advantage rarely reflects his ability to produce offensively.
Last season Korpikoski averaged just 43 power play seconds per game, which was less than Coyotes teammate Raffi Torres.
The year prior, he finished 18th on the team in average PP ice time — 41 seconds per game.
Now, do keep in mind racking up power play points against the likes of KalPa and Assat is hardly comparable to doing it against the Kings and Devils, and Korpikoski has yet to score a PPG over his 300-game NHL career.
But at the same time…this should make for an interesting conversation whenever the Coyotes’ season gets underway.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)