Oct 31, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
You may recall Alex Ovechkin talking big about possibly staying in the KHL after the lockout if the owners roll back the players’ salaries. His former Capitals teammate, Alexander Semin, is now making a similar threat.
Semin tells R-sport.ru out of Russia he would consider staying in the KHL if things don’t break right when a new CBA is signed.
“I’ll look at what contract they actually sign. I like it here overall,” he said.
Semin’s thoughts are similar to that of not only Ovechkin but Ilya Kovalchuk as well, who intimated he would stay in Russia if the next CBA doesn’t come out working well for the NHLPA. Sergei Gonchar also said many Russians might not return as well.
The KHL and NHL have an understanding that they’re not to sign players away from each other’s leagues who are currently under a contract. In Ovechkin and Kovalchuk’s cases, those are long-term deals worth over $100 million each. For Semin, if he wanted to go back to Russia he would have to burn off his one-year deal with Carolina before returning to his home country.
If these players are serious about their threats, they should have good lawyers on retainer to help them escape.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)