Oct 31, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
When guys look to get away to play hockey, some are taking it to extremes. Case in point, Blackhawks defenseman Johnny Oduya.
As Justin Bourne from Backhand Shelf shares, Oduya is off to Thailand to work out and play for a men’s league team there looking to win a championship in the South Pacific.
Oduya’s motivation to go there for hockey comes from looking to both work and play in the same place as he shares with the Bangkok Post.
“I wanted to do something different because I am not playing,” he said.
“I wanted to come back to Thailand for a while. It is a big holiday spot for Swedish people to go when it gets colder back home.”
While on vacation, he hooked up with a team called the Flying Farangs to play in the 2012 Land of Smiles Ice Hockey Tournament. A tropical paradise where hockey is played for charity? Sounds pretty good to me.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks