Oct 31, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
News of the signing was reported Wednesday on the Rapperswill website, announcing the 22-year-old blueliner would join the National League A team on a lockout deal.
The signing is going to raise eyebrows on this side of the Atlantic as Del Zotto, a restricted free agent, will play in Switzerland without an NHL contract.
Negotiations with the Rangers went throughout the summer and at times got acrimonious — in September, GM Glen Sather predicted Del Zotto would eventually “come to his senses” and agree to the reported $2-2.5 million deal the Rangers were offering.
But either Del Zotto never came his senses, or Sather felt he didn’t come far enough. The two sides weren’t able to work anything out prior to the Sept. 15 CBA expiration, leaving Del Zotto (and a handful of other RFAs) without deals.
As for the Rapperswil signing…
Del Zotto will join Ottawa Senators forward Jason Spezza with the Lakers — Spezza signed on with the club back in mid-September. The team also features ex-Avalanche goalie David Aebischer, former Minnesota forward Robbie Earl and former Blues winger Peter Sejna.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)