Oct 31, 2012, 1:38 PM EST
News of the signing was reported Wednesday on the Rapperswill website, announcing the 22-year-old blueliner would join the National League A team on a lockout deal.
The signing is going to raise eyebrows on this side of the Atlantic as Del Zotto, a restricted free agent, will play in Switzerland without an NHL contract.
Negotiations with the Rangers went throughout the summer and at times got acrimonious — in September, GM Glen Sather predicted Del Zotto would eventually “come to his senses” and agree to the reported $2-2.5 million deal the Rangers were offering.
But either Del Zotto never came his senses, or Sather felt he didn’t come far enough. The two sides weren’t able to work anything out prior to the Sept. 15 CBA expiration, leaving Del Zotto (and a handful of other RFAs) without deals.
As for the Rapperswil signing…
Del Zotto will join Ottawa Senators forward Jason Spezza with the Lakers — Spezza signed on with the club back in mid-September. The team also features ex-Avalanche goalie David Aebischer, former Minnesota forward Robbie Earl and former Blues winger Peter Sejna.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 11
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)