Oct 31, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
News of the signing was reported Wednesday on the Rapperswill website, announcing the 22-year-old blueliner would join the National League A team on a lockout deal.
The signing is going to raise eyebrows on this side of the Atlantic as Del Zotto, a restricted free agent, will play in Switzerland without an NHL contract.
Negotiations with the Rangers went throughout the summer and at times got acrimonious — in September, GM Glen Sather predicted Del Zotto would eventually “come to his senses” and agree to the reported $2-2.5 million deal the Rangers were offering.
But either Del Zotto never came his senses, or Sather felt he didn’t come far enough. The two sides weren’t able to work anything out prior to the Sept. 15 CBA expiration, leaving Del Zotto (and a handful of other RFAs) without deals.
As for the Rapperswil signing…
Del Zotto will join Ottawa Senators forward Jason Spezza with the Lakers — Spezza signed on with the club back in mid-September. The team also features ex-Avalanche goalie David Aebischer, former Minnesota forward Robbie Earl and former Blues winger Peter Sejna.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39