Oct 30, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
Taylor Hall is finally officially locked out.
The Edmonton Oilers winger announced via Twitter that he was handed his “divorce papers,” meaning he’s off the injured reserve and free to play for the AHL’s Oklahoma City Barons.
Hall needed shoulder surgery after suffering an injury on March 17, forcing him to undergo a lengthy rehab process. Both of his NHL seasons have been cut short by injury so far.
While it’s tantalizing to imagine what kind of havoc Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle & Co. can create against AHL competition, CBC Sports’ Doug Harrison notes that the Barons will take a measured approach with 2010’s top overall pick. He isn’t expected to play back-to-back games, for instance.
Still, if NHL teams want to see their prospects get a taste of what the big time is like even at the AHL level, they should pay attention to those games against the Barons.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)