Oct 30, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Devin Setoguchi is going to play for a California team once again, only this time ESPN’s Craig Custance reports that it’ll be the ECHL’s Ontario Reign.
The team’s roster includes former NHL defenseman Paul Mara, who signed there in late November.
The Reign currently sport a 4-4 record in eight games, tenuously placing them in second place in the ECHL’s Pacific Division. They’re on a two-game losing streak, so Setoguchi’s sniping could be quite the welcome addition.
To some surprise, the ECHL has done a decent job of courting the occasional locked-out NHL player.
Brandon Dubinsky joined the Alaska Aces while the Mercury News’ David Pollak reports that Setoguchi’s former teammate Ryane Clowe signed with the league so he could skate with the San Francisco Bulls.
Setoguchi has two seasons remaining on a deal with a $3 million per year cap hit. He won’t make anywhere near that in the ECHL, as you could probably guess.
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 8
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton