Oct 30, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
Devin Setoguchi is going to play for a California team once again, only this time ESPN’s Craig Custance reports that it’ll be the ECHL’s Ontario Reign.
The team’s roster includes former NHL defenseman Paul Mara, who signed there in late November.
The Reign currently sport a 4-4 record in eight games, tenuously placing them in second place in the ECHL’s Pacific Division. They’re on a two-game losing streak, so Setoguchi’s sniping could be quite the welcome addition.
To some surprise, the ECHL has done a decent job of courting the occasional locked-out NHL player.
Brandon Dubinsky joined the Alaska Aces while the Mercury News’ David Pollak reports that Setoguchi’s former teammate Ryane Clowe signed with the league so he could skate with the San Francisco Bulls.
Setoguchi has two seasons remaining on a deal with a $3 million per year cap hit. He won’t make anywhere near that in the ECHL, as you could probably guess.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)