Oct 30, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
According to various reports, Toronto Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul has agreed to join Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg — currently the worst team in the KHL — on a lockout deal.
Lupul confirmed the signing to the Toronto Sun on Tuesday, a day after telling Sportsnet’s Darren Millard the deal was close to being finalized.
There’s just one catch.
Acording to rules implemented by the KHL in September (see here), Lupul seemingly fails to meet the criteria for a locked-out NHLer to join the league.
That said, Sport-Express’ Slava Malamud makes a salient point:
Lupul isn’t eligible to sign in KHL due to the league’s rules. In the KHL, though, rules are merely hurdles, not obstacles, so let’s see…
— Slava Malamud (@SlavaMalamud) October 30, 2012
Andrey Osadchenko of The Hockey News notes that no Russian media outlet, including the Avtomobilist website, have announced the Lupul signing as of yet.
Avtomobilist is off to a dreadful start to its KHL campaign, winning just four of its first 21 games (one of which came via shootout.)
With 13 points, they’re seven back of the league’s second-worst team, Dinamo Riga, and have scored a league-worst 42 goals thus far.
Coached by longtime NHL defenseman Igor Ulanov, Avtomobilist’s lineup is largely bereft of talent. The team does have some ex-NHLers in Branislav Mezei and Sergei Gusev, but has yet to make a lockout signing.
As such, Lupul would be a big get for the club. He’s coming off a breakout campaign with the Leafs, one that saw him register a career-high 67 points and make his first-ever All Star appearance.
Because of some pretty catastrophic injuries, Lupul has only skated in 143 NHL games and doesn’t meet any of the other criteria, despite putting up 25 goals and 67 points in 66 games last season with the Leafs en route to his first all-star game appearance.
A KHL spokesman said it is possible to waive the strict definition of the rule in some cases, which likely apply to Lupul given his injuries are what kept him out of 150 NHL games.
Sounds like a reasonable explanation.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)