Oct 30, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
The last on-ice image most have of Dustin Brown is him hoisting the Stanley Cup skyward.
Well, the next one could be dramatically different.
Brown is set to join KHL club Vityaz Chekhov on a lockout deal, according to Genadi Boguslavski of Sovetsky Sport.
The deal comes courtesy Vityaz GM Alexei Zhamnov — yes, the longtime Winnipeg Jet/Chicago Blackhawk — who said Brown is close to signing with the team.
Once completed, the deal will be a significant one for Vityaz. The 27-year-old Brown is coming off a stellar Cup run with the Kings, pacing the team with 8G-12A-20PTS in 20 games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
In the opening round, Brown tied a playoff record by scoring two shorthanded goals in a Game 2 victory over the Canucks.
Brown will join a Vityaz squad known for its physical, North American style of play. Notable tough guys Jeremy Yablonski and Trevor Gillies play for Chekhov, but the team also employs a number of skill guys like Josh Hennessy, Mark Cullen and Brian Fahey.
Most recently, Vityaz agreed to a lockout deal with Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, its first NHL signing of the current work stoppage.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 3
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 24
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)