Oct 30, 2012, 10:43 AM EST
The last on-ice image most have of Dustin Brown is him hoisting the Stanley Cup skyward.
Well, the next one could be dramatically different.
Brown is set to join KHL club Vityaz Chekhov on a lockout deal, according to Genadi Boguslavski of Sovetsky Sport.
The deal comes courtesy Vityaz GM Alexei Zhamnov — yes, the longtime Winnipeg Jet/Chicago Blackhawk — who said Brown is close to signing with the team.
Once completed, the deal will be a significant one for Vityaz. The 27-year-old Brown is coming off a stellar Cup run with the Kings, pacing the team with 8G-12A-20PTS in 20 games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
In the opening round, Brown tied a playoff record by scoring two shorthanded goals in a Game 2 victory over the Canucks.
Brown will join a Vityaz squad known for its physical, North American style of play. Notable tough guys Jeremy Yablonski and Trevor Gillies play for Chekhov, but the team also employs a number of skill guys like Josh Hennessy, Mark Cullen and Brian Fahey.
Most recently, Vityaz agreed to a lockout deal with Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, its first NHL signing of the current work stoppage.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)