Oct 30, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
The last on-ice image most have of Dustin Brown is him hoisting the Stanley Cup skyward.
Well, the next one could be dramatically different.
Brown is set to join KHL club Vityaz Chekhov on a lockout deal, according to Genadi Boguslavski of Sovetsky Sport.
The deal comes courtesy Vityaz GM Alexei Zhamnov — yes, the longtime Winnipeg Jet/Chicago Blackhawk — who said Brown is close to signing with the team.
Once completed, the deal will be a significant one for Vityaz. The 27-year-old Brown is coming off a stellar Cup run with the Kings, pacing the team with 8G-12A-20PTS in 20 games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
In the opening round, Brown tied a playoff record by scoring two shorthanded goals in a Game 2 victory over the Canucks.
Brown will join a Vityaz squad known for its physical, North American style of play. Notable tough guys Jeremy Yablonski and Trevor Gillies play for Chekhov, but the team also employs a number of skill guys like Josh Hennessy, Mark Cullen and Brian Fahey.
Most recently, Vityaz agreed to a lockout deal with Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, its first NHL signing of the current work stoppage.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)