Oct 30, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
The last on-ice image most have of Dustin Brown is him hoisting the Stanley Cup skyward.
Well, the next one could be dramatically different.
Brown is set to join KHL club Vityaz Chekhov on a lockout deal, according to Genadi Boguslavski of Sovetsky Sport.
The deal comes courtesy Vityaz GM Alexei Zhamnov — yes, the longtime Winnipeg Jet/Chicago Blackhawk — who said Brown is close to signing with the team.
Once completed, the deal will be a significant one for Vityaz. The 27-year-old Brown is coming off a stellar Cup run with the Kings, pacing the team with 8G-12A-20PTS in 20 games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
In the opening round, Brown tied a playoff record by scoring two shorthanded goals in a Game 2 victory over the Canucks.
Brown will join a Vityaz squad known for its physical, North American style of play. Notable tough guys Jeremy Yablonski and Trevor Gillies play for Chekhov, but the team also employs a number of skill guys like Josh Hennessy, Mark Cullen and Brian Fahey.
Most recently, Vityaz agreed to a lockout deal with Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, its first NHL signing of the current work stoppage.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)