Oct 30, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
The last on-ice image most have of Dustin Brown is him hoisting the Stanley Cup skyward.
Well, the next one could be dramatically different.
Brown is set to join KHL club Vityaz Chekhov on a lockout deal, according to Genadi Boguslavski of Sovetsky Sport.
The deal comes courtesy Vityaz GM Alexei Zhamnov — yes, the longtime Winnipeg Jet/Chicago Blackhawk — who said Brown is close to signing with the team.
Once completed, the deal will be a significant one for Vityaz. The 27-year-old Brown is coming off a stellar Cup run with the Kings, pacing the team with 8G-12A-20PTS in 20 games en route to the first championship in franchise history.
In the opening round, Brown tied a playoff record by scoring two shorthanded goals in a Game 2 victory over the Canucks.
Brown will join a Vityaz squad known for its physical, North American style of play. Notable tough guys Jeremy Yablonski and Trevor Gillies play for Chekhov, but the team also employs a number of skill guys like Josh Hennessy, Mark Cullen and Brian Fahey.
Most recently, Vityaz agreed to a lockout deal with Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, its first NHL signing of the current work stoppage.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)