Oct 30, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
According to Magnus Nystrom of Swedish website Hockey Expressen, Backstrom is going to ditch No. 99 after November’s international break in favor of a new number:
Yeah. Sixty nine.
Here’s a priceless Google translation:
But last submission is that Backstrom is promised to change the numbers after the national team break. Then state exist. Signatures must be accurate and all old stamps sit where they should. No nation loves old time stamps Russia.
Well, soon will not have Backstrom # 99 and after the Karjala Cup, he is number 69 Nicklas Backstrom.
“Well, that certainly cleared things up,” said nobody.
(NOTE: Russian Machine Never Breaks has a much more comprehensible version of the article.)
Regardless of the rough translation, it’s clear the issue of wearing No. 99 never went away and Backstrom felt pressure to change.
And yeah, Nystrom’s been actively following the “Backstrom 99″ story for a while.
Last week, he asked Backstrom about the decision to choose the number made famous (and practically untouchable) by Wayne Gretzky — and the Caps forward replied by saying he felt “wrong” about the decision and hoped to change the number soon.
(It’s believed Backstrom had to wear the number for a couple of games because Dynamo had already registered it with the KHL.)
On a related note, Backstrom scored his first KHL goal on Tuesday in a 3-1 win over Dinamo Riga wearing, that’s right, No. 99:
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (57)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)