Oct 30, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
VIK Vasteras added yet another locked-out NHLer on Tuesday, agreeing to terms with Tampa Bay defenseman Brendan Mikkelson.
Mikkelson, 25, is the third player to sign with Vasteras during the work stoppage. St. Louis Blues winger Patrik Berglund joined in mid-September while Flames center Mikael Backlund latched on in early October.
Taken 31st overall by Anaheim at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Mikkelson struggled to get into the lineup with both the Ducks (who put him on waivers) and Flames (who traded him to the Lightning in January.)
Yet he found his niche upon arriving in Tampa, playing a career-high 41 games while averaging over 14 minutes a night — impressive enough for the Lightning to sign Mikkelson to a one-year, one-way deal in July.
As for the Vasteras signing…
The Allsvenskan adds yet another NHLer to the mix and continues to bring in the type of talent not normally seen at the tier two level.
Earlier today, Caps forward Marcus Johansson signed with BIK Karlskoga, joining the likes of Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Ericsson, Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Read, Carl Hagelin, Douglas Murray and Patric Hornqvist as locked-out players in the Swedish second division.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)