Oct 30, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
VIK Vasteras added yet another locked-out NHLer on Tuesday, agreeing to terms with Tampa Bay defenseman Brendan Mikkelson.
Mikkelson, 25, is the third player to sign with Vasteras during the work stoppage. St. Louis Blues winger Patrik Berglund joined in mid-September while Flames center Mikael Backlund latched on in early October.
Taken 31st overall by Anaheim at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Mikkelson struggled to get into the lineup with both the Ducks (who put him on waivers) and Flames (who traded him to the Lightning in January.)
Yet he found his niche upon arriving in Tampa, playing a career-high 41 games while averaging over 14 minutes a night — impressive enough for the Lightning to sign Mikkelson to a one-year, one-way deal in July.
As for the Vasteras signing…
The Allsvenskan adds yet another NHLer to the mix and continues to bring in the type of talent not normally seen at the tier two level.
Earlier today, Caps forward Marcus Johansson signed with BIK Karlskoga, joining the likes of Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Ericsson, Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Read, Carl Hagelin, Douglas Murray and Patric Hornqvist as locked-out players in the Swedish second division.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)