Oct 30, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
VIK Vasteras added yet another locked-out NHLer on Tuesday, agreeing to terms with Tampa Bay defenseman Brendan Mikkelson.
Mikkelson, 25, is the third player to sign with Vasteras during the work stoppage. St. Louis Blues winger Patrik Berglund joined in mid-September while Flames center Mikael Backlund latched on in early October.
Taken 31st overall by Anaheim at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Mikkelson struggled to get into the lineup with both the Ducks (who put him on waivers) and Flames (who traded him to the Lightning in January.)
Yet he found his niche upon arriving in Tampa, playing a career-high 41 games while averaging over 14 minutes a night — impressive enough for the Lightning to sign Mikkelson to a one-year, one-way deal in July.
As for the Vasteras signing…
The Allsvenskan adds yet another NHLer to the mix and continues to bring in the type of talent not normally seen at the tier two level.
Earlier today, Caps forward Marcus Johansson signed with BIK Karlskoga, joining the likes of Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Ericsson, Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Read, Carl Hagelin, Douglas Murray and Patric Hornqvist as locked-out players in the Swedish second division.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks