Oct 30, 2012, 9:08 PM EDT
One hopeful fan theory is that the CBA discussions will heat up once players start losing paychecks, but escrow earnings might ease some of the tension.
Players missed the second checks from the would-be 2012-13 season on Monday, but they got a healthy 7.98 percent of last year’s earnings – plus interest – on Tuesday, according to Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press.
Johnston maps out what this means financially for a given player, so we don’t have to all that stuffy math:
The escrow payments amount to about $80,000 for every million dollars a player earned — before deductions. For example, New York Rangers forward Brad Richards grossed approximately $960,000 after being the league’s highest-paid player last season.
That could mean a nice bit of relief for players (even if that was merely money taken from last season’s checks), whether they’re making a bit of cash overseas or they’re on “kid duty” like Joe Corvo.
It certainly doesn’t ease overall worries during a week in which the 2013 Winter Classic is reportedly in danger of being canceled, though
Just like Monday night, there’s nothing new to report even if the two sides continue to speak, according to Johnston and others.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)