Oct 30, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
If NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cancels the Winter Classic, Detroit defenseman Ian White doesn’t have much hope for the rest of the season.
“If he’s willing to cancel that, I don’t know why he’d want to play a season after that, because that’s the highlight of the year,” White said recently, as per the Windsor Star. “So if he’s willing to throw away that game, then the balance of the season, I would think, is definitely on the line. So it’s terrible if that’s what’s going through his mind.”
It’s been reported that the Winter Classic – still scheduled for Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs – will be scratched by the NHL later this week.
Symbolically, the cancelation would be significant and would further tarnish the league’s image. Nobody can deny that.
That said, to suggest that the NHL won’t want to play a season without the Winter Classic may be stretching it. Monetarily, losing the event wouldn’t come close to what’s already been lost by the cancelation of the schedule through November.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)