Oct 30, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
If NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cancels the Winter Classic, Detroit defenseman Ian White doesn’t have much hope for the rest of the season.
“If he’s willing to cancel that, I don’t know why he’d want to play a season after that, because that’s the highlight of the year,” White said recently, as per the Windsor Star. “So if he’s willing to throw away that game, then the balance of the season, I would think, is definitely on the line. So it’s terrible if that’s what’s going through his mind.”
It’s been reported that the Winter Classic – still scheduled for Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs – will be scratched by the NHL later this week.
Symbolically, the cancelation would be significant and would further tarnish the league’s image. Nobody can deny that.
That said, to suggest that the NHL won’t want to play a season without the Winter Classic may be stretching it. Monetarily, losing the event wouldn’t come close to what’s already been lost by the cancelation of the schedule through November.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)