Oct 30, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
If NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cancels the Winter Classic, Detroit defenseman Ian White doesn’t have much hope for the rest of the season.
“If he’s willing to cancel that, I don’t know why he’d want to play a season after that, because that’s the highlight of the year,” White said recently, as per the Windsor Star. “So if he’s willing to throw away that game, then the balance of the season, I would think, is definitely on the line. So it’s terrible if that’s what’s going through his mind.”
It’s been reported that the Winter Classic – still scheduled for Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs – will be scratched by the NHL later this week.
Symbolically, the cancelation would be significant and would further tarnish the league’s image. Nobody can deny that.
That said, to suggest that the NHL won’t want to play a season without the Winter Classic may be stretching it. Monetarily, losing the event wouldn’t come close to what’s already been lost by the cancelation of the schedule through November.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights