Oct 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
NHLPA head Donald Fehr opened up for a lengthy Q&A with the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo on Monday.
It’s worth a full read, but here are a few of the highlights.
- After being asked about going after the salary cap and the general frustrations that come with negotiating, Fehr said, “the more things change, the harder it becomes.”
- On the subject of cutting contracts – including ones just recently signed – Fehr said, ” … you’ve got to wonder how somebody can look at themselves in the mirror when they do that.”
- Many justifiably wonder why the players would fight over pieces of the puzzle even if it means getting nothing in the event of a canceled season. Fehr had an interesting response:
“If this was a one-year agreement, that would make a lot of sense,” Fehr said. “But it’s not. It’s a five-or-six-or-seven-year agreement. Also, look at what’s on the table [from the owners], there’s a lot more that’s on the table in addition to just player share.”
- Still, some players might not be satisfied with the long view. Here’s what he said when asked if he was frightened about players getting anxious about missed paychecks:
“Yeah … But that doesn’t mean you make a bad agreement because of it,” Fehr said.
- Finally, on assuming fans would come back after a lengthy lockout:
“I never take the fans for granted,” Fehr said. “It seems to me that anybody that does is foolish.”
For more, click here.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires