Oct 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
NHLPA head Donald Fehr opened up for a lengthy Q&A with the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo on Monday.
It’s worth a full read, but here are a few of the highlights.
- After being asked about going after the salary cap and the general frustrations that come with negotiating, Fehr said, “the more things change, the harder it becomes.”
- On the subject of cutting contracts – including ones just recently signed – Fehr said, ” … you’ve got to wonder how somebody can look at themselves in the mirror when they do that.”
- Many justifiably wonder why the players would fight over pieces of the puzzle even if it means getting nothing in the event of a canceled season. Fehr had an interesting response:
“If this was a one-year agreement, that would make a lot of sense,” Fehr said. “But it’s not. It’s a five-or-six-or-seven-year agreement. Also, look at what’s on the table [from the owners], there’s a lot more that’s on the table in addition to just player share.”
- Still, some players might not be satisfied with the long view. Here’s what he said when asked if he was frightened about players getting anxious about missed paychecks:
“Yeah … But that doesn’t mean you make a bad agreement because of it,” Fehr said.
- Finally, on assuming fans would come back after a lengthy lockout:
“I never take the fans for granted,” Fehr said. “It seems to me that anybody that does is foolish.”
For more, click here.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)