Oct 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
NHLPA head Donald Fehr opened up for a lengthy Q&A with the Minnesota Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo on Monday.
It’s worth a full read, but here are a few of the highlights.
- After being asked about going after the salary cap and the general frustrations that come with negotiating, Fehr said, “the more things change, the harder it becomes.”
- On the subject of cutting contracts – including ones just recently signed – Fehr said, ” … you’ve got to wonder how somebody can look at themselves in the mirror when they do that.”
- Many justifiably wonder why the players would fight over pieces of the puzzle even if it means getting nothing in the event of a canceled season. Fehr had an interesting response:
“If this was a one-year agreement, that would make a lot of sense,” Fehr said. “But it’s not. It’s a five-or-six-or-seven-year agreement. Also, look at what’s on the table [from the owners], there’s a lot more that’s on the table in addition to just player share.”
- Still, some players might not be satisfied with the long view. Here’s what he said when asked if he was frightened about players getting anxious about missed paychecks:
“Yeah … But that doesn’t mean you make a bad agreement because of it,” Fehr said.
- Finally, on assuming fans would come back after a lengthy lockout:
“I never take the fans for granted,” Fehr said. “It seems to me that anybody that does is foolish.”
For more, click here.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)