Corvo’s locked-out life: “Mostly kid duty lately”

Oct 30, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT

Joe Corvo Getty Images

Ever wonder what veteran NHLers do during the work stoppage? Well, two of them — Joe Corvo and Troy Brouwer — recently discussed their lockout routines with the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.

“Mostly kid duty lately,” Corvo said. “I’ve got a lot more time on my hands, so I’m running errands for my wife. I’m my wife’s personal assistant.”

Despite the snark, Corvo appreciates a rare opportunity for more family time.

“That makes it special for me because I’ve seen guys who probably their only regrets over their career is that they didn’t get to really see their children grow up and they missed those sporting events,” he said. “It’s nice to be able to do that. I’ll have something I remember, and hopefully in the near future that’s what I’ll be doing.”

Still, getting that added freedom comes with a looser structure and more than a bit of tedium for players such as Brouwer.

“I’d rather have the regular routine of going to the rink in the morning, practicing and playing games. Right now, it’s still kind of hit or miss,” Brouwer said Friday. “You do as much or as little as you want. Sometimes to have that nice structure, routine and schedule is nice just to follow along.”

Corvo points out it’s also nice to make money, of course.

“I’m a creature of habit. I like structure. I like somebody telling me where to be, when to be there,” Corvo said. “And I like having a job. It’d be nice to get back to work.”

Latest Posts
  1. Ribeiro, Preds continue to negotiate an extension

Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.

2. NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas

Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Las Vegas Arena Construction Site Tour Getty Images

But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.

3. Sharks sign Jones to a three-year, $9 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT

martinjonesap AP

San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.

4. Islanders ink Anders Lee to a four-year, $15 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

EDMONTON, AB - MARCH 06: Anders Lee #27 of the New York Islanders celebrates a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during an NHL game at Rexall Place on March 06, 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Getty Images

He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

5. Wings buy out Weiss after two rocky seasons

Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT

Stephen Weiss Getty Images

Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.

6. Trade: Oilers get Korpikoski from Coyotes for Gordon

Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT

Lauri Korpikoski Getty Images

Arizona is getting back its former center.

7. Saad, Jackets working on an extension ‘as we speak’

Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Brandon Saad

He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

8. Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone

Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.

9. Ducks stay busy, name former Adams winner MacLean assistant coach

Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.

10. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

11. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

12. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

13. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

14. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

15. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

16. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches