Oct 30, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Ever wonder what veteran NHLers do during the work stoppage? Well, two of them — Joe Corvo and Troy Brouwer — recently discussed their lockout routines with the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
“Mostly kid duty lately,” Corvo said. “I’ve got a lot more time on my hands, so I’m running errands for my wife. I’m my wife’s personal assistant.”
Despite the snark, Corvo appreciates a rare opportunity for more family time.
“That makes it special for me because I’ve seen guys who probably their only regrets over their career is that they didn’t get to really see their children grow up and they missed those sporting events,” he said. “It’s nice to be able to do that. I’ll have something I remember, and hopefully in the near future that’s what I’ll be doing.”
Still, getting that added freedom comes with a looser structure and more than a bit of tedium for players such as Brouwer.
“I’d rather have the regular routine of going to the rink in the morning, practicing and playing games. Right now, it’s still kind of hit or miss,” Brouwer said Friday. “You do as much or as little as you want. Sometimes to have that nice structure, routine and schedule is nice just to follow along.”
Corvo points out it’s also nice to make money, of course.
“I’m a creature of habit. I like structure. I like somebody telling me where to be, when to be there,” Corvo said. “And I like having a job. It’d be nice to get back to work.”
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 19
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 41
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9