Oct 30, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Ever wonder what veteran NHLers do during the work stoppage? Well, two of them — Joe Corvo and Troy Brouwer — recently discussed their lockout routines with the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
“Mostly kid duty lately,” Corvo said. “I’ve got a lot more time on my hands, so I’m running errands for my wife. I’m my wife’s personal assistant.”
Despite the snark, Corvo appreciates a rare opportunity for more family time.
“That makes it special for me because I’ve seen guys who probably their only regrets over their career is that they didn’t get to really see their children grow up and they missed those sporting events,” he said. “It’s nice to be able to do that. I’ll have something I remember, and hopefully in the near future that’s what I’ll be doing.”
Still, getting that added freedom comes with a looser structure and more than a bit of tedium for players such as Brouwer.
“I’d rather have the regular routine of going to the rink in the morning, practicing and playing games. Right now, it’s still kind of hit or miss,” Brouwer said Friday. “You do as much or as little as you want. Sometimes to have that nice structure, routine and schedule is nice just to follow along.”
Corvo points out it’s also nice to make money, of course.
“I’m a creature of habit. I like structure. I like somebody telling me where to be, when to be there,” Corvo said. “And I like having a job. It’d be nice to get back to work.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)