Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Jannik Hansen has become just the second Canuck to find work overseas, signing a lockout deal with SM-liiga club Tappara.
Hansen confirmed the signing to Vancouver’s News 1130 on Tuesday.
Tappara has been a busy club over the last week, having also agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster.
The club’s GM, Mikko Leinonen, said that Hansen will arrive in Finland tonight and soon join Foster in the Tappara lineup.
The signing is a big one for the Finnish club as Hansen, one of the NHL’s few Danish players, has gone from a ninth-round pick to a key contributor on Vancouver’s Presidents’ Trophy-winning team.
In 2011-12, Hansen posted career highs in goals (16), assists (23) and points (39), often getting the opportunity to skate on a wing with Daniel and Henrik Sedin.
That breakout season came after Hansen inked a three-year, $4.05 million extension with the Canucks last July.
Of note, Leinonen told News 1130 that Hansen’s insurance has been covered for the duration of his stay in the Finnish league, but that the winger won’t make anything after that.
As mentioned above, Hansen becomes just the second Canuck to sign overseas — teammate Dale Weise signed with Tillburg of the Dutch league earlier in October.
Hansen’s reason for finding work was the need to resume competitive activity. He hopes to play a key role in Denmark’s Olympic qualifying tournament, set for early February.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)