Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Jannik Hansen has become just the second Canuck to find work overseas, signing a lockout deal with SM-liiga club Tappara.
Hansen confirmed the signing to Vancouver’s News 1130 on Tuesday.
Tappara has been a busy club over the last week, having also agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster.
The club’s GM, Mikko Leinonen, said that Hansen will arrive in Finland tonight and soon join Foster in the Tappara lineup.
The signing is a big one for the Finnish club as Hansen, one of the NHL’s few Danish players, has gone from a ninth-round pick to a key contributor on Vancouver’s Presidents’ Trophy-winning team.
In 2011-12, Hansen posted career highs in goals (16), assists (23) and points (39), often getting the opportunity to skate on a wing with Daniel and Henrik Sedin.
That breakout season came after Hansen inked a three-year, $4.05 million extension with the Canucks last July.
Of note, Leinonen told News 1130 that Hansen’s insurance has been covered for the duration of his stay in the Finnish league, but that the winger won’t make anything after that.
As mentioned above, Hansen becomes just the second Canuck to sign overseas — teammate Dale Weise signed with Tillburg of the Dutch league earlier in October.
Hansen’s reason for finding work was the need to resume competitive activity. He hopes to play a key role in Denmark’s Olympic qualifying tournament, set for early February.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)