Oct 30, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Jannik Hansen has become just the second Canuck to find work overseas, signing a lockout deal with SM-liiga club Tappara.
Hansen confirmed the signing to Vancouver’s News 1130 on Tuesday.
Tappara has been a busy club over the last week, having also agreed to terms with former Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster.
The club’s GM, Mikko Leinonen, said that Hansen will arrive in Finland tonight and soon join Foster in the Tappara lineup.
The signing is a big one for the Finnish club as Hansen, one of the NHL’s few Danish players, has gone from a ninth-round pick to a key contributor on Vancouver’s Presidents’ Trophy-winning team.
In 2011-12, Hansen posted career highs in goals (16), assists (23) and points (39), often getting the opportunity to skate on a wing with Daniel and Henrik Sedin.
That breakout season came after Hansen inked a three-year, $4.05 million extension with the Canucks last July.
Of note, Leinonen told News 1130 that Hansen’s insurance has been covered for the duration of his stay in the Finnish league, but that the winger won’t make anything after that.
As mentioned above, Hansen becomes just the second Canuck to sign overseas — teammate Dale Weise signed with Tillburg of the Dutch league earlier in October.
Hansen’s reason for finding work was the need to resume competitive activity. He hopes to play a key role in Denmark’s Olympic qualifying tournament, set for early February.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)