Oct 30, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
The political fallout continues in Alberta after it was learned last week that Oilers owner Daryl Katz made a sizable donation to the provincial government’s party in the midst of efforts to build a new publicly funded arena in Edmonton.
The Oilers have requested $100 million from the province for the arena.
On Monday, opposition politicians insisted that Katz’s donation was a clear attempt to buy favors.
“Let me connect some dots,” Wildrose Party leader Danielle Smith said. “Given that a quarter of the government’s election donations are said to be from a single source, and given that source wants $100 million from the government for a hockey arena, and he sits on the board of a Crown corporation that invests $70 billion of assets owned by Albertans, doesn’t anyone in this government have a problem with that?”
The province’s finance minister, Doug Horner, dismissed the accusations, noting that the government has already turned down Katz’s request for arena funds and stands by its decision.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)