Oct 29, 2012, 4:08 PM EST
After engaging in a fight during Sunday’s Liberec-Chomutov Czech Extraliga game, Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds was subjected to chants of “Opice” — “monkey” in English — by several Chomutov fans.
Chomutov was quick to condemn those actions with a statement on the club website.
(Translation courtesy Puck Daddy):
“We are disgusted by the behavior of a group of spectators who greatly damaged the reputation of the club. We would like to deeply apologize to the players and Mr. Simmonds,” said Chomutov Marketing Director David Dinda.
“It was embarrassing, pathetic and small. I ask these people to not attend Chomutov hockey games. In fans like them we are not interested in.
“We’ll do our best to find people who are the originators of this act and prevent them entry to the stadium.” said Chomutov GM Jaroslav Veverka.
Chomutov officials later sent an official apology letter to Simmonds (posted to the club’s Facebook page), which read like this:
Dear Mr. Simmonds,
We would like to express regret about chanting that sounded from part of audience at the end of the match between Pirates Chomutov and White Tigers Liberec.
We damn this behaviour and do not identify with it. We do not consider as our fans people that participated in racist chanting. We do not agree with racism in any form.
Please accept our honest apology for this behaviour.
The letter was signed on behalf of Chomutov management, partners and players — players that include locked-out NHLers Milan Jurcina and Michael Frolik, and former Pittsburgh Penguin Milan Kraft.
For video of the incident, click here.
For the statement from the Liberec organization, click here.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 6
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 14
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 24
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 26
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)