Oct 29, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
After engaging in a fight during Sunday’s Liberec-Chomutov Czech Extraliga game, Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds was subjected to chants of “Opice” — “monkey” in English — by several Chomutov fans.
Chomutov was quick to condemn those actions with a statement on the club website.
(Translation courtesy Puck Daddy):
“We are disgusted by the behavior of a group of spectators who greatly damaged the reputation of the club. We would like to deeply apologize to the players and Mr. Simmonds,” said Chomutov Marketing Director David Dinda.
“It was embarrassing, pathetic and small. I ask these people to not attend Chomutov hockey games. In fans like them we are not interested in.
“We’ll do our best to find people who are the originators of this act and prevent them entry to the stadium.” said Chomutov GM Jaroslav Veverka.
Chomutov officials later sent an official apology letter to Simmonds (posted to the club’s Facebook page), which read like this:
Dear Mr. Simmonds,
We would like to express regret about chanting that sounded from part of audience at the end of the match between Pirates Chomutov and White Tigers Liberec.
We damn this behaviour and do not identify with it. We do not consider as our fans people that participated in racist chanting. We do not agree with racism in any form.
Please accept our honest apology for this behaviour.
The letter was signed on behalf of Chomutov management, partners and players — players that include locked-out NHLers Milan Jurcina and Michael Frolik, and former Pittsburgh Penguin Milan Kraft.
For video of the incident, click here.
For the statement from the Liberec organization, click here.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)