Oct 29, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
After engaging in a fight during Sunday’s Liberec-Chomutov Czech Extraliga game, Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds was subjected to chants of “Opice” — “monkey” in English — by several Chomutov fans.
Chomutov was quick to condemn those actions with a statement on the club website.
(Translation courtesy Puck Daddy):
“We are disgusted by the behavior of a group of spectators who greatly damaged the reputation of the club. We would like to deeply apologize to the players and Mr. Simmonds,” said Chomutov Marketing Director David Dinda.
“It was embarrassing, pathetic and small. I ask these people to not attend Chomutov hockey games. In fans like them we are not interested in.
“We’ll do our best to find people who are the originators of this act and prevent them entry to the stadium.” said Chomutov GM Jaroslav Veverka.
Chomutov officials later sent an official apology letter to Simmonds (posted to the club’s Facebook page), which read like this:
Dear Mr. Simmonds,
We would like to express regret about chanting that sounded from part of audience at the end of the match between Pirates Chomutov and White Tigers Liberec.
We damn this behaviour and do not identify with it. We do not consider as our fans people that participated in racist chanting. We do not agree with racism in any form.
Please accept our honest apology for this behaviour.
The letter was signed on behalf of Chomutov management, partners and players — players that include locked-out NHLers Milan Jurcina and Michael Frolik, and former Pittsburgh Penguin Milan Kraft.
For video of the incident, click here.
For the statement from the Liberec organization, click here.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)