Oct 29, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
In news we may not have covered if there were hockey being played, the Ottawa Senators will sponsor new PGA Tour member Brad Fritsch for the upcoming season.
Fritsch – from the Ottawa suburb of Manotick, Ont. – will wear the Sens’ logo on his shirt and golf bag in 2013. The 34-year-old earned his PGA Tour card on Sunday by finishing in the top 25 of the Web.com Tour.
“I am overjoyed to partner with and represent the NHL team that I’ve grown up with the last 20 years,” said Fritsch. “It is an honor and a pleasure to be associated with the Senators and my hope is that this is a partnership that will last for many, many years.”
In an odd twist, a golfer sponsored by the Vancouver Canucks, Adam Hadwin, just missed out on his PGA Tour card after being bumped out of the top 25 on the final hole of the Web.com Tour Championship.
And since it’s tradition to make a crack about the Leafs on these occasions…
The Toronto Maple Leafs have decided against sponsoring a PGA Tour member in 2013 as they already spent $63.5 million on golfers last year.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)