Oct 29, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
In news we may not have covered if there were hockey being played, the Ottawa Senators will sponsor new PGA Tour member Brad Fritsch for the upcoming season.
Fritsch – from the Ottawa suburb of Manotick, Ont. – will wear the Sens’ logo on his shirt and golf bag in 2013. The 34-year-old earned his PGA Tour card on Sunday by finishing in the top 25 of the Web.com Tour.
“I am overjoyed to partner with and represent the NHL team that I’ve grown up with the last 20 years,” said Fritsch. “It is an honor and a pleasure to be associated with the Senators and my hope is that this is a partnership that will last for many, many years.”
In an odd twist, a golfer sponsored by the Vancouver Canucks, Adam Hadwin, just missed out on his PGA Tour card after being bumped out of the top 25 on the final hole of the Web.com Tour Championship.
And since it’s tradition to make a crack about the Leafs on these occasions…
The Toronto Maple Leafs have decided against sponsoring a PGA Tour member in 2013 as they already spent $63.5 million on golfers last year.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)