Oct 29, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
In news we may not have covered if there were hockey being played, the Ottawa Senators will sponsor new PGA Tour member Brad Fritsch for the upcoming season.
Fritsch – from the Ottawa suburb of Manotick, Ont. – will wear the Sens’ logo on his shirt and golf bag in 2013. The 34-year-old earned his PGA Tour card on Sunday by finishing in the top 25 of the Web.com Tour.
“I am overjoyed to partner with and represent the NHL team that I’ve grown up with the last 20 years,” said Fritsch. “It is an honor and a pleasure to be associated with the Senators and my hope is that this is a partnership that will last for many, many years.”
In an odd twist, a golfer sponsored by the Vancouver Canucks, Adam Hadwin, just missed out on his PGA Tour card after being bumped out of the top 25 on the final hole of the Web.com Tour Championship.
And since it’s tradition to make a crack about the Leafs on these occasions…
The Toronto Maple Leafs have decided against sponsoring a PGA Tour member in 2013 as they already spent $63.5 million on golfers last year.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)