Oct 29, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
In news we may not have covered if there were hockey being played, the Ottawa Senators will sponsor new PGA Tour member Brad Fritsch for the upcoming season.
Fritsch – from the Ottawa suburb of Manotick, Ont. – will wear the Sens’ logo on his shirt and golf bag in 2013. The 34-year-old earned his PGA Tour card on Sunday by finishing in the top 25 of the Web.com Tour.
“I am overjoyed to partner with and represent the NHL team that I’ve grown up with the last 20 years,” said Fritsch. “It is an honor and a pleasure to be associated with the Senators and my hope is that this is a partnership that will last for many, many years.”
In an odd twist, a golfer sponsored by the Vancouver Canucks, Adam Hadwin, just missed out on his PGA Tour card after being bumped out of the top 25 on the final hole of the Web.com Tour Championship.
And since it’s tradition to make a crack about the Leafs on these occasions…
The Toronto Maple Leafs have decided against sponsoring a PGA Tour member in 2013 as they already spent $63.5 million on golfers last year.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)