Oct 29, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects adds that Smith has returned to North America after terminating his deal with the SM-liiga team “through his own initiative.”
It’s unclear why Smith left the team but, statistically speaking, it doesn’t appear to be a performance issue. The 23-year-old had eight points in eight games since signing in early October and averaged almost 19 minutes TOI.
In his last game, an Oct. 27 win over Assat, Smith had an assist and played 22:36, his highest ice-time total since joining the club.
UPDATE: Josh Cooper of The Tennessean received word from Smith’s agent, Kevin Magnuson — sounds like Smith simply wanted to return to Wisconsin to resume training…
“Craig is on his way home from Finland today. Although he was enjoying his experience, and doing quite well on the ice, he feels that skating and training in Madison is the best option for him to prepare for the upcoming season,” Magnuson said. “The Kalpa team and management could not have been better and Craig is very appreciative for the opportunity to have the tremendous life experience that he did.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5