Oct 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Plenty of NHL stars gathered for Chicago’s “Champs for Charity” game on Friday, raising $323,500 for causes in the process.
As various players told the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno, it also helped raise the players’ spirits.
“It really hits you how much you miss it. It really makes every player here really want to get out playing,” Jordan Staal said. “It felt like it was pretty darn loud. We haven’t heard too many fans. That was really special.”
Troy Brouwer was the player most responsible for putting the event together, which he believes had very promising attendance.
“Everyone’s kind of in different places in their lives right now,” Brouwer said. “And for everyone to kind of drop everything and come in for the weekend and do something like this, it shows that the guys really care about these charities and these foundations and the thing that we’re trying to raise money for.”
Being in front of a crowd brimming with fans again didn’t hurt, either.
“Spirits have been a little low, obviously,” Ryan said. “I think the guys kind of needed it.”
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 9
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)