Oct 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Plenty of NHL stars gathered for Chicago’s “Champs for Charity” game on Friday, raising $323,500 for causes in the process.
As various players told the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno, it also helped raise the players’ spirits.
“It really hits you how much you miss it. It really makes every player here really want to get out playing,” Jordan Staal said. “It felt like it was pretty darn loud. We haven’t heard too many fans. That was really special.”
Troy Brouwer was the player most responsible for putting the event together, which he believes had very promising attendance.
“Everyone’s kind of in different places in their lives right now,” Brouwer said. “And for everyone to kind of drop everything and come in for the weekend and do something like this, it shows that the guys really care about these charities and these foundations and the thing that we’re trying to raise money for.”
Being in front of a crowd brimming with fans again didn’t hurt, either.
“Spirits have been a little low, obviously,” Ryan said. “I think the guys kind of needed it.”
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)