Oct 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Plenty of NHL stars gathered for Chicago’s “Champs for Charity” game on Friday, raising $323,500 for causes in the process.
As various players told the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno, it also helped raise the players’ spirits.
“It really hits you how much you miss it. It really makes every player here really want to get out playing,” Jordan Staal said. “It felt like it was pretty darn loud. We haven’t heard too many fans. That was really special.”
Troy Brouwer was the player most responsible for putting the event together, which he believes had very promising attendance.
“Everyone’s kind of in different places in their lives right now,” Brouwer said. “And for everyone to kind of drop everything and come in for the weekend and do something like this, it shows that the guys really care about these charities and these foundations and the thing that we’re trying to raise money for.”
Being in front of a crowd brimming with fans again didn’t hurt, either.
“Spirits have been a little low, obviously,” Ryan said. “I think the guys kind of needed it.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)