Oct 29, 2012, 7:55 PM EST
Malkin was named the best “attacker” after his red-hot week (three goals and six assists in just three games). Yakupov earned the best rookie nod thanks to some healthy sniping; he had three goals in two contests.
Malkin continues to climb the rankings of KHL top scorers overall this season.
Alex Radulov is currently on top with 28 points, yet Malkin already has 24 despite playing in five fewer games. Malkin’s also building on the aggression he showed in the NHL last season, firing a stunning 90 shots on goal in just 16 contests.
Yakupov doesn’t have the same balance between goals and assists (eight tallies, just three helpers), but the Edmonton Oilers should still be heartened to see early signs of him delivering as a dangerous goal-scorer.
In case you’re wondering, Vitaly Koval took goalie of the week while Alexander Osipov was named the best defenseman to round out last week’s KHL awards.
Other non-NHL weekly awards: Dan Ellis takes AHL’s honors
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 44
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31