Oct 29, 2012, 7:55 PM EDT
Malkin was named the best “attacker” after his red-hot week (three goals and six assists in just three games). Yakupov earned the best rookie nod thanks to some healthy sniping; he had three goals in two contests.
Malkin continues to climb the rankings of KHL top scorers overall this season.
Alex Radulov is currently on top with 28 points, yet Malkin already has 24 despite playing in five fewer games. Malkin’s also building on the aggression he showed in the NHL last season, firing a stunning 90 shots on goal in just 16 contests.
Yakupov doesn’t have the same balance between goals and assists (eight tallies, just three helpers), but the Edmonton Oilers should still be heartened to see early signs of him delivering as a dangerous goal-scorer.
In case you’re wondering, Vitaly Koval took goalie of the week while Alexander Osipov was named the best defenseman to round out last week’s KHL awards.
Other non-NHL weekly awards: Dan Ellis takes AHL’s honors
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5