Oct 29, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
“There’s a lot of frustration built up for me, personally,” Staal said.
” … It’s hard to figure out, because it just doesn’t seem like there’s a care for the game. There is from us (players) and from our fans. But on the other side, it doesn’t seem like it has anything to do with it. That’s difficult for us but probably a reality.”
The Staal family just missed out on what would have been a memorable game last Friday, as Eric and Jordan Staal were scheduled to lead the Carolina Hurricanes against Marc Staal and the New York Rangers.
Instead, Jordan played in a charity exhibition game.
Alexander points out that Eric would lose $8.5 million if this season is totally wiped out, but the Hurricanes captain seems just as worried about missing out on a prime year with a revamped roster.
” … It’s years that are important to me and important to our team here,” Staal said. “We’ve got a good group of guys at ages where we should be competing with the elite teams. And now we’re not competing because of a labor dispute. It’s frustrating.”
Also frustrating: skipping a tradition where he often eats a “celebratory cupcake” on a team flight (basically a frosting lockout).
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)