Oct 29, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The move comes after Prospal’s impressive bounce back 2011-12 season, one that followed a disappointing and injury-riddled 2010-11 in New York.
The 37-year-old played in all 82 games with the Jackets last year, leading the team in assists (39) and finishing second in points, with 55 — a solid effort that Columbus rewarded with a one-year, $2.5 million deal in February, just prior to the NHL trade deadline.
It’s worth noting that Prospal was one of two Blue Jackets to serve as alternate captain last year (RJ Umberger was the other.) Now that former captain Rick Nash is with the Rangers, Prospal could be in line to wear the “C” for Columbus…whenever the season starts back up.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)