Oct 29, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The move comes after Prospal’s impressive bounce back 2011-12 season, one that followed a disappointing and injury-riddled 2010-11 in New York.
The 37-year-old played in all 82 games with the Jackets last year, leading the team in assists (39) and finishing second in points, with 55 — a solid effort that Columbus rewarded with a one-year, $2.5 million deal in February, just prior to the NHL trade deadline.
It’s worth noting that Prospal was one of two Blue Jackets to serve as alternate captain last year (RJ Umberger was the other.) Now that former captain Rick Nash is with the Rangers, Prospal could be in line to wear the “C” for Columbus…whenever the season starts back up.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally with at MSG 21
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 34
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51