Oct 29, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
The move comes after Prospal’s impressive bounce back 2011-12 season, one that followed a disappointing and injury-riddled 2010-11 in New York.
The 37-year-old played in all 82 games with the Jackets last year, leading the team in assists (39) and finishing second in points, with 55 — a solid effort that Columbus rewarded with a one-year, $2.5 million deal in February, just prior to the NHL trade deadline.
It’s worth noting that Prospal was one of two Blue Jackets to serve as alternate captain last year (RJ Umberger was the other.) Now that former captain Rick Nash is with the Rangers, Prospal could be in line to wear the “C” for Columbus…whenever the season starts back up.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)