Oct 29, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The move comes after Prospal’s impressive bounce back 2011-12 season, one that followed a disappointing and injury-riddled 2010-11 in New York.
The 37-year-old played in all 82 games with the Jackets last year, leading the team in assists (39) and finishing second in points, with 55 — a solid effort that Columbus rewarded with a one-year, $2.5 million deal in February, just prior to the NHL trade deadline.
It’s worth noting that Prospal was one of two Blue Jackets to serve as alternate captain last year (RJ Umberger was the other.) Now that former captain Rick Nash is with the Rangers, Prospal could be in line to wear the “C” for Columbus…whenever the season starts back up.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25