Oct 29, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
The move comes after Prospal’s impressive bounce back 2011-12 season, one that followed a disappointing and injury-riddled 2010-11 in New York.
The 37-year-old played in all 82 games with the Jackets last year, leading the team in assists (39) and finishing second in points, with 55 — a solid effort that Columbus rewarded with a one-year, $2.5 million deal in February, just prior to the NHL trade deadline.
It’s worth noting that Prospal was one of two Blue Jackets to serve as alternate captain last year (RJ Umberger was the other.) Now that former captain Rick Nash is with the Rangers, Prospal could be in line to wear the “C” for Columbus…whenever the season starts back up.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)