Oct 29, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
With NHL action locked out indefinitely, one of the best collections of hockey talent can be found during Finland’s Karjala Tournament, which takes place Nov. 7-10.
The round-robin tournament features one squad each from the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden and host team Finland.
Here are some standout players (aside from the Czech roster, which isn’t readily available):
A Swedish team including Peter Forsberg and Matt Sundin will take on a Finnish squad that boasts Jari Kurri and Jere Lehtinen in a legends game on Nov. 8 as well, according to Turku.fi.
Before you start pondering a hasty trip to Finland, let’s finish with a few facts about the tournament:
- Either Finland (10 times) or Russia (five times) finished in first place in all but one of the 16 tournaments, with Sweden taking it in 1997.
- The tournament is sponsored by Karjala beer, which has a rather interesting history.
- Again, it’s a round-robin tournament featuring three games per team. If two teams are tied for first-place, whichever team won the head-to-head matchup takes the No. 1 spot.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (57)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)