Oct 29, 2012, 10:50 PM EST
With NHL action locked out indefinitely, one of the best collections of hockey talent can be found during Finland’s Karjala Tournament, which takes place Nov. 7-10.
The round-robin tournament features one squad each from the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden and host team Finland.
Here are some standout players (aside from the Czech roster, which isn’t readily available):
A Swedish team including Peter Forsberg and Matt Sundin will take on a Finnish squad that boasts Jari Kurri and Jere Lehtinen in a legends game on Nov. 8 as well, according to Turku.fi.
Before you start pondering a hasty trip to Finland, let’s finish with a few facts about the tournament:
- Either Finland (10 times) or Russia (five times) finished in first place in all but one of the 16 tournaments, with Sweden taking it in 1997.
- The tournament is sponsored by Karjala beer, which has a rather interesting history.
- Again, it’s a round-robin tournament featuring three games per team. If two teams are tied for first-place, whichever team won the head-to-head matchup takes the No. 1 spot.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 56
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 30
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)