Oct 29, 2012, 10:50 PM EST
With NHL action locked out indefinitely, one of the best collections of hockey talent can be found during Finland’s Karjala Tournament, which takes place Nov. 7-10.
The round-robin tournament features one squad each from the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden and host team Finland.
Here are some standout players (aside from the Czech roster, which isn’t readily available):
A Swedish team including Peter Forsberg and Matt Sundin will take on a Finnish squad that boasts Jari Kurri and Jere Lehtinen in a legends game on Nov. 8 as well, according to Turku.fi.
Before you start pondering a hasty trip to Finland, let’s finish with a few facts about the tournament:
- Either Finland (10 times) or Russia (five times) finished in first place in all but one of the 16 tournaments, with Sweden taking it in 1997.
- The tournament is sponsored by Karjala beer, which has a rather interesting history.
- Again, it’s a round-robin tournament featuring three games per team. If two teams are tied for first-place, whichever team won the head-to-head matchup takes the No. 1 spot.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 26
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2